Super II pump running very hot.

May 21, 2008
Ridgewood NJ
I have a 2hp super pump ii that i just noticed is running very hot, too hot to touch. The pump is about 11 years old and it is H rated and running. Today I cleaned the impeller which was only minimally dirty and changed the ceramic seals. I also tested the voltage to the pump and it is getting 118 x 2 as expected. The motor shaft turns freely. Should I be worried? What else can I try to lower the temp. What else could be a load on the motor, could the centrifigal clutch not be disengaging? I am not sure what it should like but the 'weights' are spinning on the back end of the pump when I just tested the voltage. The pressure in the DE filter is not high, 20, which is normally what I get after backflushing and cleaning which I just did.
Thanks
Len

Pool pumps run hot. Mine runs too hot to touch as well. Years ago, I was going to install a cooling fan......I never did and the pump continues to run as it always has.....too hot for my liking but, apparently, perfectly normal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.