Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hi - From scorching hot PA

1. Back To Top    #1

Hi - From scorching hot PA

I'd like to thank everyone on the board for the great advice found here. I have a 20K gallon vinyl lined pool. Just a quick story on how much this site has helped (and saved me in $$$).

I started reading the information on this site in late May after having a cloudy pool and spending way too much money trying to fix it at Leslie's. I really felt like I was chasing my tail. After doing a lot of reading, I got the pool cleared up cheaply by shocking with liquid chlorine. I also changed from never getting good free chlorine levels with Trichlor to getting great free chlorine levels using Clorox. Got the pH and alkalinity in line using muriatic acid and an aerator made from a compressor and a porus garden bleeder hose (even less tail chasing). I then decided to get brave and go for the BBB method; my pool now sparkles every day. It also amazes me how stable the pool chemistry has been.

All I need to do is add about half a 192 oz jug of Clorox every day to get about 5-6 ppm of free chlorine (CYA = 50). The pH hasn't varied from 7.6-7.8, nor has the alkalinity changed...in fact, the only chemical I have added since I added Borax/muriatic acid has been Clorox. I just came back from a 2 week vacation, in which I had someone add the Clorox daily and add water as needed because of evaporation, and the pool water was crystal clear, and the chemistry spot on.

The cost saving has also been remarkable. Instead of adding algecide, ultrabright, pool perfect/phos free, and constantly fighting the pH and alkalinity battle with pH increaser, alkalinity up, and muriatic acid, I now just add about $1.50 of Clorox a day and life is good.

Thanks!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hi - From scorching hot PA

Isn't it great?!? Gotta love this place!
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome! Glad to hear things are working out and you have a nice clean and clear oasis to spend some time in during all of this heat.

4. Back To Top    #4

I too, also spent years chasing my tail. My pool store kept a board up in their retail shop (they are also pool builders) and they would put your name on the board if you had a "perfect pool." I did everything they told me to do to clear up my water but only twice in 3 years did I get my name on the board. I should have figured it out sooner but after lurking around TFP and finally joining I was able to say "Bye Bye Pool Store." After getting everything right after spring opening I have basically had a perfect pool--had to add acid twice in the last month to bring Ph down from drifting past 7.8. The pool store made a "perfect pool" a battle and TFP has made it easy maintenance. Welcome AlBundy59 and enjoy your TFP.
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

Check the price of 12½% bleach at a pool store, it's the same as Clorox, twice the chlorine, you use half as much. Calculating the $$$, it's cheaper here in S/E PA. It's the only chemical I buy from the pool store. I'm on my third carboy for the year, including one to get rid of the spring swamp. I get the muriatic acid at Lowe's, Borax at Walmart or Target.
    Arvil, 30ft round, 21k gal, AG/vinyl(2003), StaRiteIII hp cartridge 150ft, Polaris65.
    6/30, Temp83F (28.3C), pH 7.8, FC 2.8 ppm, CC 0 ppm, TA 100, CH 80, CYA 40, -B4O7 30, CSI-0.17.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to the land of saving $ and enjoying your pool! Glad you're having a great time w/your pool chemistry now.

Debbie... I have to admit, if I were you, I'd be tempted to take my water into Leslie's so I could have my name put up on their "perfect pool" board
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi AlBundy59 and welcome to TFP

That is a great first post!

Now, can we see a pic?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    Hi AlBundy59 and welcome to TFP

That is a great first post!

Now, can we see a pic?

Sure

Here's a picture is of my pool with sparkly borated water.
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Back To Top    #9

The second picture is the aerator I made for raising pH, using a bleeder garden hose hooked to a compressor and a shut off valve in between. The black plates are weights to hold the hose down.

10. Back To Top    #10

Finally, a picture of the aerator in action. Hopefully, the bubbles above the hose can be seen.

11. Back To Top    #11

How did you make that aerator? It looks pretty sweet.
    2005 Dimension One Venture model 370 gal. hot tub. We'll be using the TFP method to keep it clean and ready to use!
    TFP - The Finest Phorum on the Net!

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks. Hooked a compressor hose to a bunch of fittings and a shut off valve so that it would connect to a garden hose fitting. The guy Lowes was helpful at rigging together the connections. The garden hose (solid green) is then hooked to a bleeder/weeper hose (porus black hose) which makes the bubbles from the compressed air. I don't think the shut off valve is needed, since the porus hose seems to prevent any back suction when the air is turned off.