Pump Failure

Jun 8, 2011
Ridgefield, CT
So everything seemed to be going pretty well, decent water flow, circulation, etc. until today. I come home from work and my pump is not circulating any water. The water is in the skimmer attached to the pump, but I have no water circulating back into the pool. I bled the air out of the filter and water comes out at a trickle, with no force. The gauge reads practically no pressure.

The pump was unusually loud last week, so I am thinking it might be pump failure.

Is it possible the heat (95, super high humidity) exacerbated the problem?

Dumb question, but where is the impeller?

I hear the pump running, but there is no circulation from the pump basket. But it is real loud. And it has been for a week or so. I have no idea how old the pump is. If I were a betting man, I would say at least 15 years old.

I had a pump fail recently and it just made a funny sound when turned on. Like bearings frozen. Does it make a weird sound when turned on? Is the filter dirty/clogged? Does it sound like its running but no water circulating? any video?

Bearings frozen might be a good description. The filter is not dirty. I cleaned it pretty recently and the pool has been clean since. It sounds like it is running, but there is no water. When I release the air from the filters, water trickles out. I assume that is only the water left from prior to pump failure.

Of course this happens on a Friday night, when it is oppressively hot. It's the hottest week of the year, by far.

yossarian said:
Bearings frozen might be a good description. The filter is not dirty. I cleaned it pretty recently and the pool has been clean since. It sounds like it is running, but there is no water. When I release the air from the filters, water trickles out. I assume that is only the water left from prior to pump failure.

Of course this happens on a Friday night, when it is oppressively hot. It's the hottest week of the year, by far.

you might hear a electric type hum when the bearings fail. if that happens probably best just get a new pump.

if you get a new pump get either a 2 speed or variable speed. they will save you tons on electric. I got clients running 2 speeds and variables at 1900-2000 rpm 12hrs per day 7 days per week and costing them $50 per month. and our kw costs 34 cents per hr.

Turn off the pump, open the top and clean out the basket (if you see a lot of debris on the backside of the basket, there's your problem :cool: )

If you reach into the hole at the back (180* opposite of the inlet) there is the impeller - feel around for pine needles, etc.

Do you remember what your pressure gauge read before this issue? That gauge is a 'quick and dirty' way of telling you how the pump and filter are doing :goodjob:

I have no idea how old the pump is. If I were a betting man, I would say at least 15 years old.
___________________________________________________________________________________
15 years old??? Excellent chance your pump has finally worn out. If it has lasted 15 years it should be enshrined in the Pool Pump Hall of Fame!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Rockman59 said:
I have no idea how old the pump is. If I were a betting man, I would say at least 15 years old.
___________________________________________________________________________________
15 years old??? Excellent chance your pump has finally worn out. If it has lasted 15 years it should be enshrined in the Pool Pump Hall of Fame!!!

That makes me feel better. We only bought the house last year. I found a brochure that the owners left behind. The brochure was dated around 1992. I guess that even though the pump only operates 3-4 months/year, it was still a decent lifespan. The guy that came by to look at it today felt that the motor might need to be replaced, but the housing was in very good shape.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.