Autopilot DIG220 suddely quit working

Jul 22, 2011
The system has worked well for the last few years, but suddenly I had a Warning:Check Cell and it's now not generating chlorine. It had been working well up to that point.

When it happened, I checked and cleaned the cell - no change. My backpressure was also up a bit, so I also cleaned the filter - mysteriously everything then worked fine for the rest of that day until it quit again the next morning.

My settings were voltage level 1, 28V and 3.7 amps minerals at 3700. I tried to change to level 2 in the installer menu but couldn't - all I got was the puirier status screen then it cut straight to the Check Cell warning.

This doesn't seem like a gradual decline in cell efficiency, more like something has died in the system. We have had a flock of thunderstorms recently.

Anyone have any ideas on what I should do?

Graham

You should do a careful visual examination of the cell. Look for any sign of white crusty stuff on the cell plates and also check to see if the corners of the cell plates are clean, or if the corners of some of the plates have been worn away.

Before I cleaned the cell (usual Muriatic Acid 1:4 water) there was a little white crusting - after it was clear. I didn't notice any wear at the corners of the plates, but wasn't specifically looking for that. I think I would have seen any significant wear.

Graham

The other possibility is that there is a bad electrical connection on one of the cell cord connections. Presumably you removed the cell cord to clean the cell. If it didn't make a good connection when you put it back on it could cause the symptoms you describe.

I did take a look at the connector before I replaced it. There was a considerable amount of mold on the body but the connector pins and sockets looked clean. Is there some method to clean these?

Graham

After some internet checking, DeToxit seems to be the best contact cleaner. Wasn't available locally so I've ordered some of that. I'll post an update after I've cleaned the contacts.

Graham

I got the Deoxit and thoroughly cleaned up the connector and sockets. No change at all - still not working and I'm still stuck on voltage level 1.

Anyone have any other ideas that might help? We have had a bunch of thunderstorms lately - is there an easy way to see if the board has been damaged?

Graham

Graham,
how old is your cell? What is your salt level (not just what the DIG reads, but have it tested)?
What are you doing to get into the Installer Menu? You have the press and hold the Select button for about 13 seconds. If you just press and release, it will go back to the normal screen.

Thanks for that info- I did manage to get into the installer menu and set power level to 3. Still getting warning and red flashing light. Now also showing a Low Amps warning. Salt level on the DIG unit shows3700 - I will take a sample in for testing, but that probably won't be until Monday.

The cell is about 4 years old. What kind of lifetime is reasonable?

Graham

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The cell in a SWG typically lasts between 3 and 5 years. One thing you can do to check is to remove the cell and examine the corners of the cell plates. If some of the plates have corners that are worn away then the cell is wearing out and needs to be replaced.

I didn't see any corners worn away when I checked it, but we do seem to have covered all the other reasons, so it could well be the cell - would they usually fail instantly and completely though - I would have expected a more gradual degradation.

Graham

Graham,

Did you find a solution? I have a similar situation. I ordered a new cell...same result. Replaced the cell cord...still the same. Examined the fuses and they appear good. My system was put in summer 2005. The cell I ordered would be my third...although I am now unclear whether I even needed it.

Anyone have the next test? Pretty disappointed if the power unit needs to be replaced already. I'm having a hard time justifying the cost vs normal pool chemical.

Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.