Goldline generator

Jul 22, 2011
Thanks for getting my registration straightened out Jason.

I have a chlorine generator. I have had it for about 5 years, am on my second cell. It's Goldline Aqua Trol. I got it from my Pool supplier Rep at a great price even though it's for an above ground pool. Mine is inground, but is only about 12,000 gallons. It worked fine till the first cell died, then with the replacement worked fine again. Problem now is that I've had to turn it up to 100% and it's slowly over a couple of months making less and less chlorine. I'm slightly above 1ppm today. I soaked the cell in Muriatic acid a month ago and it didn't make much difference and there was very little calcium in the thing.

Is it a problem with my water; maybe? Or is the thing just dying?

Thanks in advance.

bob...

Ok guys,

I'll take my water into the pool store tomorrow and get it tested. My test kit is much too old to trust it for all those things. I'm not even sure it can test for all that. I'm no chemist either. I'm a Pump and Well guy. I know all about pool pumps and filters, it goes no further than that.

I'll have to go to one of your schools to figure out what all the abbreviations are too.

Looks like the cell is on it's way out

No, it looks like you simply need to add some stabilizer conditioner (CYA) to the water.
Hayward recommends 60 to 80 ppm of CYA for these systems. Your water has 0
Without stabilizer in the water, the sunlight breaks down the chlorine faster than the salt cell can produce it.

Use the pool calculator to determine how much CYA needs to be added.
http://www.poolcalculator.com/

PSG

Here's what the pool store told me to do. Add 5lbs. of Total Alkalinity Increaser. Add two bags of Di-Chlor and 3.5lbs of Stabilizer using a sock in the skimmer. (Who's sock, mine or the wives?)

Does that look about right. Sorry, the calculator was a bit confusing to me.

I wouldn't raise the TA quite that much, perhaps only 4 lbs, but that isn't a big deal.

The dichlor plus stabilizer will bring CYA up to around 45 or 50, which is fine for the moment, but longer term CYA should be around 70 to 80 with a SWG.

Nearly any kind of sock/stocking should be fine, unless it has a very coarse weave.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You do NOT want to use the wife's sock to add CYA to the pool without her authorization
Your right, I used one of mine.

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it. The pool is back to it's sparklie self once more. I'll be checking the chlorine in a few days when the shock wears off and I can get a good reading.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.