Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Goldline generator

1. Back To Top    #1

Goldline generator

Thanks for getting my registration straightened out Jason.

I have a chlorine generator. I have had it for about 5 years, am on my second cell. It's Goldline Aqua Trol. I got it from my Pool supplier Rep at a great price even though it's for an above ground pool. Mine is inground, but is only about 12,000 gallons. It worked fine till the first cell died, then with the replacement worked fine again. Problem now is that I've had to turn it up to 100% and it's slowly over a couple of months making less and less chlorine. I'm slightly above 1ppm today. I soaked the cell in Muriatic acid a month ago and it didn't make much difference and there was very little calcium in the thing.

Is it a problem with my water; maybe? Or is the thing just dying?

Thanks in advance.

bob...
    37x13 key Hole plaster (17,000 gallon); Hayward 315 sand filter; Hayward 2hp super pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Goldline generator

Post a full set of test results and how you got them and we'll have a better idea, but it sounds like a water issue more than a cell issue.
    pH
    FC
    CC
    TA
    CH
    CYA
    salt
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Proper water balance for a Salt system is essential for optimum performance.

A lower than recommended CYA level can allow sunlight to consume chlorine quicker than the unit can produce it.
    Click on the blue link below for more information.
    pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

PSG
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok guys,

I'll take my water into the pool store tomorrow and get it tested. My test kit is much too old to trust it for all those things. I'm not even sure it can test for all that. I'm no chemist either. I'm a Pump and Well guy. I know all about pool pumps and filters, it goes no further than that.

I'll have to go to one of your schools to figure out what all the abbreviations are too.
    37x13 key Hole plaster (17,000 gallon); Hayward 315 sand filter; Hayward 2hp super pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Here are the results:
    TC 1.5
    FC 1.5
    CC 0.0
    PH 7.8
    TA 50ppm
    CH 500ppm
    ST 0 ppm
    TDS 5000
    Salt 3200

Looks like the cell is on it's way out.

6. Back To Top    #6

Looks like the cell is on it's way out
    No, it looks like you simply need to add some stabilizer conditioner (CYA) to the water.
    Hayward recommends 60 to 80 ppm of CYA for these systems. Your water has 0
    Without stabilizer in the water, the sunlight breaks down the chlorine faster than the salt cell can produce it.

Use the pool calculator to determine how much CYA needs to be added.
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/

PSG
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

7. Back To Top    #7

Here's what the pool store told me to do. Add 5lbs. of Total Alkalinity Increaser. Add two bags of Di-Chlor and 3.5lbs of Stabilizer using a sock in the skimmer. (Who's sock, mine or the wives?)

Does that look about right. Sorry, the calculator was a bit confusing to me.

8. Back To Top    #8

I wouldn't raise the TA quite that much, perhaps only 4 lbs, but that isn't a big deal.

The dichlor plus stabilizer will bring CYA up to around 45 or 50, which is fine for the moment, but longer term CYA should be around 70 to 80 with a SWG.

Nearly any kind of sock/stocking should be fine, unless it has a very coarse weave.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

I agree that the Dichlor will be fine if you've already bought it but if you haven't then I'd recommend using bleach to bring the FC up and stabilizer to bring the CYA up. Either way is fine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

You do NOT want to use the wife's sock to add CYA to the pool without her authorization.

Have a great weekend

PSG
    poolschoolgrad

11. Back To Top    #11

You do NOT want to use the wife's sock to add CYA to the pool without her authorization
    Your right, I used one of mine.

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it. The pool is back to it's sparklie self once more. I'll be checking the chlorine in a few days when the shock wears off and I can get a good reading.