15' x 4' above-ground going up. Fun fun.

Jul 22, 2011
Decided we were going to get a pool this year, something small/cheap, see how we liked it/how much we used it/fit our lifestyle etc. If things go well, then get rid of this and upgrade to a 'real' pool in a couple years. Don't want to put too much up front if things don't work out.

Bought this here:
http://store.namcopoolstore.com/web13931.html

Pool/filter/pump/locking sliding ladder/in-wall skimmer was $799. Figured I would spend a couple hundred more than the Intex pools that are sold-out all over anyways. I can get the specs on the other stuff later when I get home.

Found what I figured to be the best part of my yard, and leveled it down for the pool. Somewhere in the sun, that wasn't a hike to the house.

EDIT: Better 'progression' pics.

Beginning, grass cleared. As you see the other pics, you'll have an idea of what kind of 'grass' I had to clear out.
P1140489.JPG

I'm in serious need of a makeover. Probably reserve that for another thread. :(
P1140491.JPG

Corners dug down to the level of the lowest corner.
P1140523.JPG

Half cleared.
P1140528.JPG

Mostly cleared.
P1140537.JPG

Just a little too small.
P1140537.jpg

Current status.
P1140565.JPG

I'm unsure what to do about that high ground on that backside of it. A lot of it is sandy dirt that was dumped from my dog pen project, so it needs to be spread, but the 'true' ground level there is still a good 10" or so. Going to rip all that junk out you see growing everywhere as well, get it nice looking. Then I need to figure out how to landscape it nicely. And, undecided if I want to build a small deck for it or not; depends on how much I can get the materials for.

I've heard to put plastic down under the tarp to keep the sand from washing away, what's the deal with that? Between the sand and ground?

Got the holes for the post footings dug yesterday, pavers set and leveled, bottom ring, and pool side up. Inside filled with mason sand. Today will be tamping the sand, building/packing the cove around the edge, and putting in the liner.

2011-07-24_07-39-19_263.jpg

Looks nice, Dave. If that's the biggest mistake, you'' be fine. The SINGLE biggest error we see here onthe forum is folks not getting the pool almost perfectly level....1/2 inch out of level is about the maximum.

Well, I tried my damndest! My soil is very sandy where I'm at. When I was digging out, 2/3 of it was over sandy base, and the other 1/3 was over compacted soil, heck if I know how that worked out. First I tried using strings to level it. Every time my dogs went out they'd run through it and knock down the stakes, PITA. Then I put a stake in the middle, lowest point with a metal L-bracket and a level and worked it in a circle. Seems to be level. Biggest pain was leveling all the footings for the posts. We'll see what happens. I don't have my help today, hopefully I can do my liner myself.

I'm hoping the AGP forum has some ideas to pretty it up once it's done. My yard needs a LOT of work.

Yesterday was a bad day. Cliff notes (putting-up-an-agp-sucks-i-m-about-to-drive-over-it-t36912.html) : Somehow during the building of the sand cove, I knocked the pool wall out of the u-channel. Didn't notice it until I had the liner in, getting ready to fill it, and was hooking the shop vac up to the hole in the wall. Had to dig out the sand cove, put the wall back in place for half the pool (yeah, it fell over on me too when I was trying to fix it, so it all fell out), tamp sand back down in place inside, and install the foam cove. Put the liner back up, and now I'm filling it.

Not been fun.

My painstakingly built-by-hand sand cove. :(
2011-07-30_11-33-00_210.jpg

Which, during the build process, caused the wall to pop out of this groove:
2011-07-30_13-33-22_540.jpg

All the cove dug back out. :(
2011-07-31_14-51-27_123.jpg

Foam cove, $6 per 4ft locally, adhesive backed. Should have gone with this the first time, had this set up in no time.
2011-07-31_16-42-49_325.jpg

Liner back in, filling with water.
P1140592.JPG

Methinks that twin party did you some good. Glad to see you went with water instead of using your vehicle on it :~} Those little peeps who like to swim will be so happy tomorrow!

Don't forget the chlorine btw... Let us know if you have water questions.

frogabog said:
Methinks that twin party did you some good. Glad to see you went with water instead of using your vehicle on it :~} Those little peeps who like to swim will be so happy tomorrow!

Don't forget the chlorine btw... Let us know if you have water questions.
hahaha I was thinking the exact same thing... It would've been so sad for all of his hard work to go to waste. I can't wait to see the finished product. It'll look great I bet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. :) It's coming along. Started working on it after work yesterday, about 8 pm. Got the liner about where it needs to be so I can start putting the top rail on. There are 2 top rails, one structural, one decorative. The structural one was not cut very cleanly, so there are a lot of burrs etc. Started filing all those off so they will slide smoothly into each other. Had 2 left to file, and it started thunder storming and lightning.

Figured it was a bad idea to hold long metal rods outside in a storm, so had to call it quits for the night. Let's see what today brings. :)

And yes I'm definitely going to need landscape ideas. I have no issues being the back and brunt of labor, but I lack creativity.

Got done putting on the rails and vertical supports. "Shaken vigorously" into a perfect circle as in the instructions. I was afraid to do it too vigorously, afraid the wall would pop out of the bottom U-Channel again! Ah well it should be good.

Filling with water now. Tomorrow, pump & filter!

P1140603.JPG

Dave88LX said:
Got done putting on the rails and vertical supports. "Shaken vigorously" into a perfect circle as in the instructions. I was afraid to do it too vigorously, afraid the wall would pop out of the bottom U-Channel again! Ah well it should be good.

Filling with water now. Tomorrow, pump & filter!

P1140603.JPG
wow! It looks great!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.