Problem with the Polaris Feed Hose

Steve456

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
Texas
Our Polaris 380 is connected to a return near the south east corner of our pool. When the feed hose has no tangles or kinks the Polaris runs from the shallow end to the deep end. When the Polaris reaches the deep end near the north west corner of the pool the Polaris climbs the wall and turns around and heads back to the shallow end.

Frequently when the Polaris runs from the shallow end to the deep end the feed hose will develop a loop which shortens the feed hose by several feet. With a loop in the feed hose the Polaris cannot climb the wall at the north west corner of the pool and turn around. The Polaris just pulls on the feed hose trying to go forward. After it backs up it returns to trying to reach the wall in the deep end. The Polaris will remain stuck here for a long period of time. The problem is resolved by removing the loop in the feed hose.

The current feed hose is approximately 35 feet long. The feed hose is floating. A no kink hose would be good. Is there something I can do to the feed hose to prevent the hose from forming a loop? Would a additional feed hose section solve this problem? Are there problems when the feed hose exceeds 40 feet?

Are the feed hose swivels in place? There should be four of them at intervals along the hose. Your hose should stretch from the connection to within 6" of the most distant wall. Mine (280) gets loops in the hose all the time, but the swivels allow it to straighten itself out. If the swivels are in place check them to make sure they will actually rotate smoothly and there is no grit causing them to seize up and stop swiveling.

Swivels are cheap online and are easy to replace. A new one turns effortlessly, an old one feels a bit gritty as it turns. I believe they should be about 10' apart so you need 3.

You also want to be sure the floats are spaced so that the hose does not hang down at all on between.

I have never thought about the swivels. I thought that was just where sections of the feed hose connected. I have 9 floats and 2 swivels. Both swivels rotate easily without much friction and no grit. Should I have more sections in the feed hose?

How about the floats and how the hose floats? It was surprising to me how much good it did when we adjusted where the floats were. No hose should be submerged, it all floats, totally.

How old is your feed hose? Mine is about 9 years old, and in cooler weather, gets somewhat stiff. It will maintain loops more when it's stiff. It's fine in the summer - it feels brand new. Also, you may consider adding swivels. It sounds like you don't have enough for the length of your hose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.