Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: upgrading to a new pump

1. Back To Top    #1

upgrading to a new pump

i was thinking of changing my pump. right now i have a 3/4hp pump and was thinking of getting a bigger one. is there a recommeded size for my pool considering the size of the pool and the size of my filter. my pool size is 16' x 32' depth is 3' to 8'. my filter is a 200lb hayward sand filter. the reason why i want to change the pump is that i have been having alot of filter problems. as soon as my pool gets cloudy it takes a couple of weeks to clear up. i dont think its the filter, i just changed the sand this year. i thought that if i had a stronger pump it would help filter the water faster. if you could give me any suggestions it would be great
    16ft x 32ft depth 3ft to 8ft rectangle inground pool vinyl liner 21000gal. , 3/4hp pump/w 200lb sand filter and erosion feeder using 3in. trichlor tablets

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: upgrading to a new pump

I wouldn't change to a bigger size pump unless you also change to a bigger filter. Your problem is most likely chemical rather than mechanical.

Post a set of test results and how you got them. Maybe we can help you figure out why it's getting cloudy in the first place.
    pH
    FC
    CC
    TA
    CH
    CYA
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/╝hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

How long are you run times? I was typing the same things
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

i try to run it between 4 to 6 hrs a day.
    levels:
    Ph:7.7
    FC:5
    CC:0
    TA:110
    CH:40
    CYA:15
    i got the results from TFP test kit
    16ft x 32ft depth 3ft to 8ft rectangle inground pool vinyl liner 21000gal. , 3/4hp pump/w 200lb sand filter and erosion feeder using 3in. trichlor tablets

5. Back To Top    #5

the pool was looking great for about a month. then we got a little storm and my pool went green. it took me about a week but i got the green out, now its just cloudy and it doesnt seem to be going away. i cant let the pool run for too long do to electric cost but i think 4 to 6hrs a day should be sufficent.

6. Back To Top    #6

Bama Rambler your pool is half the size of mine and your pump is twice as big as mine why would i need a bigger filter for a bigger pump

7. Back To Top    #7

There is no need for a larger pump, your existing pump is more than enough. A larger filter would filter more efficiently, ie catch more debris. It is common for a sand filter to take a week or more to clear up the water after an algae outbreak. Running the pump 24/7 will clear the water more quickly. Six hours a day is fine for normal use, but when cleaning up after algae it is best to run the pump 24/7.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by hemieli
    Bama Rambler your pool is half the size of mine and your pump is twice as big as mine why would i need a bigger filter for a bigger pump
    The reason my pump is the size it is, is because I was pool stored, plain and simple. When I buy a new pump it will be a much smaller, 2-speed pump. I like the size filter I have for the size pool I have, but if I were to change from sand I would go with a 400 ft┬▓ cartridge filter or a large DE filter. As Jason said, a larger filter would filter more efficiently and too small a filter for the pump size would possibly allow debris to be forced by the media or cause channeling.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/╝hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit