Test Results and Suspected Algae

Jul 18, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
First post, :wave: but have been lurking a bit and ordered the TF-100 because of the greenish 'dust' that keeps re-appearing on the pool floor after cleaning. I've added a pretty crappy cell pic but at least you can see the tracks my Kreepy Krauly has been making through the muck. The water is actually pretty clear although the pic doesn't really show it.

I suspect this is algae and would like confirmation as such. If I vacuum it all up, it will be back in a few days. I use liquid chlorine from the pool store along with the trichlor pucks. Looking to switch to the BBB method pretty soon to get away from the pucks.

Last evening's test results:
FC 11.5 - higher than I thought it would have been but I had added about 1.25 gal of chlorine on Wed morning.
CC .5
ph 7.5
T/A 90
CH 625*
CYA 60
Temp was 86-87 at time sample was pulled; I kicked the pump on for about 45 mins before I pulled the sample

*Had a hard time getting a CH reading; got one by using the alternate test approach listed under the extended test instructions post. The water here is pretty hard.

So I'm assuming I need to follow the Defeating Algae instructions to whip this thing in shape.
True?
If so, any other suggestions after getting the algae under control?

Thanks in advance...

If so, any other suggestions after getting the algae under control?
Your description sounds like mustard algae but, regardless, chlorine is the answer....you're gonna' need more than you think....I promise.

Stop using the pucks now. Your CYA is as high as you EVER want it to be and continued use will soon make your pool water VERY difficult to manage. Don't throw them away as they keep forever and you can use them next summer without the problem of overstabilizing.

Your CH is pretty high but manageable. The best way to prevent CH from being a problem is to control your pH very carefully. I would suggest you not let it get any higher than it is now. Try to keep it in a 7.2 - 7.5 range. Keep it down there with muriatic when needed.

Read Pool School cover to cover. It is a wealth of information.

If it's algae,

file.php

I've passed the OCLT a couple times so I'm hoping that I've killed off anything funky, but here's a question. After doing more reading on here, I decided to get a stainless steel brush to replace the nylon brush I've been using. Just got it today and just brushed a few areas real quick to see what would happen. The water in the surrounding area got pretty cloudy, what's up with that? Going to brush the entire pool this evening but just wondered what I'm brushing off the walls/floor. Just a build up of "schmutz"? Scale/metal/assorted crapola?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.