Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do I make the CYA levels even out?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do I make the CYA levels even out?

The CYA in my pool was 0, then went up to normal after adding pH up and now is back to 0. What do I use to make it stay where it is supposed to? Do I need to go buy stablizer?
    +-8,000 gallon AG pool with sand filter

After our first BBB treatment today, our levels are:
    FC - 2
    CC - 0
    pH - 7.5
    TA - 120
    CYA - 0

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do I make the CYA levels even out?

Do you have any test result numbers to share?
    12-15k gallons capacity, 18'x34'
    2 main drains 4 returns 1 vacuum line
    pentair intelliflo 4x160 pump 200 sq ft media filter full width (~7' wide) swimout at deep end
    pebble sheen white diamonds

3. Back To Top    #3

Ph up has nothing to do with your cya level. You should add CYA/stabilizer when you know what your test really shows--if you need any. What is normal?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Test numbers are
    FC - 2
    CC - 0
    pH - 7.5
    TA - 120
    CYA - 0

FC - 2
    CC - 0
    pH - 7.5
    TA - 120
    CYA - 0

5. Back To Top    #5

It may have been after I added the alka up.... I have been trying to figure out what is missing... it is no longer green, but still cloudy. Also, is it safe for the kids to swim with the current levels?

FC - 2
    CC - 0
    pH - 7.5
    TA - 120
    CYA - 0

6. Back To Top    #6

I am not authoritative here, but since you are just starting out with getting you pool going on BBB, I think you should keep all of you posts on this pool in one thread for now. It helps the people here help you. What are you using for you tests?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

The only thing that raises your CYA is by adding more CYA. In any case, you have no CYA in your water and that means that after about an hour on sunlight, your FC will be gone and then your pool water will be unsanitized.

I would suggest adding enough CYA to get you to at least 30 ppm. Then add enough chlorine to get you to at least 4 ppm. Overall, I would suggest reading Pool School. That way, you can understand the reasons behind why certain levels are suggested.

8. Back To Top    #8

Strips often show CYA at 0 when it really isn't. They can not measure CYA under about 40ppm, and even at 40 they look close to zero.

If CYA is at or above 50 they will show some change to match to the 50-100 color, but it's still very inaccurate.

The test that will tell you what the CYA level is in the TFT100 and the Taylor K-2006 but it's a reagent test, not a strip. It too is not perfect, with a +/-10ppm accuracy depending on light and operator perception but it's a heck of a lot better than the strips for CYA. They are absolutely junk and will steer you wrong every time if you use them to calculate chemical additions.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

9. Back To Top    #9

How are you testing?
    How do you chlorinate your pool?

P.S. It's better if you put the test results in the post and not in your sig. When replying to your posts you can't see the sig, just the posts.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit