Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Acid use

1. Back To Top    #1

Acid use

I have had my pool a couple of years now, but I am still concerned with what I think is excessive acid usage. Every 3-4 days I need to add between 400-800ml of muriatic acid.
    My chems tonight are:

Chlorine 2-4
    pH 7.8
    Total Alk 70
    Cal Hardness 300

This is 4 days after I had the pool at 7.5pH, Chlorine at 10, Total alk at 80 with a cal hardness of 250 (I added some cal chloride to increase the hardness because the pool store kept giving me low readings) There has been no rain and I have lost about 1.25" due to evaporation, water temp 86-88 with ambient temps in the mid 90's

I had figured that by now I wouldn't need to add so much...your thoughts?
    12-15k gallons capacity, 18'x34'
    2 main drains 4 returns 1 vacuum line
    pentair intelliflo 4x160 pump 200 sq ft media filter full width (~7' wide) swimout at deep end
    pebble sheen white diamonds

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Acid use

What test kit are you using?

How old is your plaster?

3. Back To Top    #3

The plaster is actually 3 years and a month old. Time flies... The test kit is a Taylor K-1004.
    pentair intelliflo 4x160 pump 200 sq ft media filter full width (~7' wide) swimout at deep end

4. Back To Top    #4

I find that at TA of 70 I actually get to *not* add acid every other day, so I am happy when my pool finally gets there. I know that in my case, it is because the tap water has a TA of 340 and so even a small topping off after evaporation adds to the TA level, which then makes the pH tend to rise rapidly.

The pool store is giving you advice based on what you'd need if you used trichlor pucks for daily chlorine. In that case your TA of 70 would be low, but they don't understand that with bleach we don't need to have that large a buffer.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

I try to keep my TA at 80, it fluctuates up or down roughly 10 ppm but no more than that. I should have mentioned that yes I use liquid chlorine. I only use pucks if I am away or when I need to increase CYA.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have to add acid quite regularly as well. I figured it was just the nature of the beast.
    FC 7.5
    CC 0
    PH 7.5
    CYA 45
    TA 70/80
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

7. Back To Top    #7

What happens if you don't adjust the pH when it gets to 7.8? does it stay there or does it keep going up?
    If it stays at 7.8 then I'd leave it there. There are a lot of pools that like 7.8 pH and rarely go above it, but as soon as you aadjust it down it goes right back to 7.8.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I need to check mine again tonight, I just added acid for the first time yesterday, heat wave has caused me to run my fountain all day. Prior to that, every time I checked it was always around 7.3-7.4.

After the heat wave things will change back. My TA is a bit high, so this is a good chance to get that taken care of.

This also reminds me, I need to test TA of my tap water.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]