Too Hot to Swim?? I never knew it existed until now..

Jun 2, 2011
I have an AG pool just installed about 6 weeks ago. This heat is something. My pool temp at 6pm this evening was 99 degrees.. I cannot believe this. and NO i do not have a pool heater.. lol In my mind, that is hotter than the average body temp, so therefore assuming its not safe to swim. I thought about adding cold hose water to my pool but right now the water is right where it needs to be. Could I fill my water above my skimmer? Dont know if it would help, but I really want to get into my pool.. Any suggestions?

You need a pool fountain or mister to help cool the water. It will help bring the temperature down. Use the google search at the bottom left corner of the page to learn more about cooling your pool.

I would be interestd in purchasing something to help over the next week but i want it tommorrow. Meaning, should I just go to a pool store and what would be the least inexpensive thing to buy? And for the gentleman above about the water being safe. The reason i am concerned about the temp is because if the heat index temp is 115, pool water is 99 and you want to swim for a couple hours.. then I do assume your body temp will then likely increase as well. Correct me if I am wrong.. but there is nowhere to cool if the pool is not cool itself. Does that make sense? Most people I would imagine would not be getting into a hot tub if the heat index is 115 degrees.. At least I know I would not be. Showers are hot, but we are not in them for a couple of hours. Mayeb I am overly paranoid.. but I have little kids that I worry about but we all love our swimming time..

question.. I have called several pool stores locally and they dont have any fountains. Can i buy some sort of cheap pump or something that will pull the water out into the air and blow back into the pool? some sort of made up contraption? i want to get something today so i can somewhat enjoy my pool this weekend.. is there anything i can buy at lowes or a hardware store?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Would this work to cool a pool?

Merged topic to keep everything in one place. Bama

Please help me here. I am trying very hard to find a inexpensive way to cool my water by about 5 degrees. Local pool stores i have called are out of fountains. I want this today so i can swim this weekend.. what can i make or what can i buy.. i have a 24x48 AG.. something easy and cheap? could i use some sort of pump? a pipe? something?

If you browse around you can make your own fountain out of PVC piping to hook up to the return line.

This is the one I made for aeration, but I'm going to redesign it to allow me to get more height, so I can cool my pool off. It's been in the upper 90's w/ all this hot weather we've been having.
b6xb1i.jpg

And a quick Google search brought up this Pool Cooler site, and it looks like they are selling PVC made contraptions. It would probably cost less than $10 to make.

First you're gonna want to figure out how you want to design it.
After you know that, you will just need to buy some schedule 40 (1-1/2) PVC pipes and fittings to create your design.

If you make something like the pool cooler, your gonna want to supper the long Vertical pipe, so you dont damage your return hole.

You cut the pipe to lengths and drill holes in it.

This is the piece I use to screw into my return.

Then the rest is just up to personal design.

The thru-wall fitting on your pool will have 1½" NPT female threads. Unscrew the complete eyeball fitting and you'll see the threads.
To make the one like WestSidePool's & FramerTim's you'll need;
(4') 1½" PVC pipe,
(2) 1½" PVC pipe caps,
(2) 1½" PVC Tee's,
(1) 1½" PVC Ball Valve,
(1) 1½" PVC Union,
(1) 1½" PVC threaded male to slip adaptor.

Take a look at the link below and build it like that. I added a union just add it and the male adaptor where that pic says To Pool Return.
download/file.php?id=12769&mode=view

The union allows you to screw the male adaptor into the wall fitting and then adjust the upright vertical. The valve allows you to adjust the flow out the sprays.

Drilling the holes is the hardest part of the project.

If you need something simpler than that post back and we'll come up with something.

I just recently made a fountain myself. I ended up learning by trial and error.

here is my thread.

This picture should help with the parts..
all_parts.jpg

Using a bunch of the threaded ends (male and female) to make multiple parts will give you the most configuration options.

Plus, they screw in quickly. for cooling I've been using the L piece and "lazy L" and the nozzle goes at the end of that. Both connectors have all threaded ends, one male and one female. The threaded female pieces fit inside so I glued them directly. all other pieces have a small piece of PVC in between, probably no longer than 2.5"

setup for cooling: remove nozzle and plug male end of connector one in its place, connector #2 - male end into female end of connector 1, the nozzle is then screwed into connector #2, check my thread for more pics and a video. hopefully this all makes sense.

I should have taken more pics during the creation process, but since I wasn't sure what I was doing, I didn't take any.

I will take some pics of the parts when I work on a (temporary) waste pipe. I'm going to probably make it in 15-20 pieces. Which will take a bit of time to assemble but they screw together quickly, and a 100' backwash hose takes a long time to wind back up, I'm thinking at one or two times per month between backwash and blowing off water, I don't mind assembling and taking down a temporary pipe, my hose gets caught under the fence, builds pressure and blows a hole. :grrrr:

Is there a local store where you can buy a some blocks of ice. I live in Phoenix, AZ and thats what some people have done around here to get the water temp down. Also, don't cover the pool that makes the water even hotter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.