Skimmer question

Apr 12, 2011
Can anyone tell what the name o\f this thing is and what exactly it does (see pics). I assume it it to close off the the skimmer so you only pull from the main drain. When I run my inteliflo on low rpm (1500) the skimmer does not work well. If I pull this thing out then the skimmer works much better. I have a dedicated cleaner suction in the wall.

So, here are my questions
1. How does this thing work?
2. can I remove it?
3. What is the disadvantage to removing it?
I want to be able to utilize my inteliflo to the fullest. So far I have to keep it about 1600 to make the SWG turn on :(
b0db67c2.jpg

3a376995.jpg

Jday92591 said:
Can anyone tell what the name o\f this thing is and what exactly it does (see pics). I assume it it to close off the the skimmer so you only pull from the main drain. When I run my inteliflo on low rpm (1500) the skimmer does not work well. If I pull this thing out then the skimmer works much better. I have a dedicated cleaner suction in the wall.

So, here are my questions
1. How does this thing work?
2. can I remove it?
3. What is the disadvantage to removing it?
I want to be able to utilize my inteliflo to the fullest. So far I have to keep it about 1600 to make the SWG turn on :(
b0db67c2.jpg

3a376995.jpg

1. The pivoting flap allows yo to vary the relative volume of water going back to the pump, either more or less from the skimmer vs. the main drain
2. You could, but see no. 3.
3. There is also a float inside. If your water level drops below the skimmer (ie, a big leak), the float drops down, seals the skimmer, and prevents the pump from sucking air. If you remove the entire device, you lose this protection

I just installed an Intelliflo VS pump, and have had to fiddle with the pump speed to get adequate performance from the skimmers. I run mine at 1200 RPM for basic filtration, but bump the speed up to 1800 for an hour a day, just to get better skimmer flow. If you move the flap all the way open, you will maximize flow through the skimmer. But, you may still need to bump up the RPM. If you don't have much surface debris, you don't have to be too concerned about the skimmer function.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.