Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Auto Pilot Voltage Levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Auto Pilot Voltage Levels

This week I had to add salt to the pool because my salt level had fallen to 2,800 ppm. I increased the salt level to 3,400 ppm. I noticed that the reported voltage had changed. At a salt level of 2,800 the control unit reported 24 volts. At a salt level of 3,400 the control unit reported 22 volts. The amperage was the same at 6.5 amps. [Level 2]

An increase in salt would increase the conductivity of the water. Does the control unit reduce the voltage in order to maintain a constant 6.5 amps? Is there an advantage of operating the SWG at the lower voltage level?
    30,000 gallon gunite in-ground with a spillover spa, Diving board and water slide
    Hayward 1 HP Super II filter pump, Hayward 24 " Sand Filter Pro Series using zeolite media
    Polaris 380 cleaner with ¾ HP booster pump, Hayward Heatmaster pool heater, AutoPilot DIG-220 Power Supply SC-60 cell
    Testing with the TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Auto Pilot Voltage Levels

Correct, the control unit varies the voltage to maintain a constant current, and thus a constant amount of chlorine produced.

With AutoPilot units, there is no advantage to higher or lower salt levels as long as you don't go below the lower limit (around 2,500). That is not true of most other brands, which care more about the salt level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

well, the higher salt level does allow the lower voltage, which also lets the unit run cooler, so there are some advantages. The amount of chlorine produced though, will be the same.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Poolsean
    well, the higher salt level does allow the lower voltage, which also lets the unit run cooler, so there are some advantages. The amount of chlorine produced though, will be the same.
    I would think that the rate of chlorine produced would be related to the power used. If the current is the same but at a lower voltage, then the power usage should be lower and therefore, less chlorine should be produced?

5. Back To Top    #5

Chlorine production is proportional to the number of electrons moving through the cell, which is what current is measuring/describing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School