Is high TA a problem?

FC 4
    CC 0
    TA 160
    PH 7.6
    CA 250 or so.
    CYA 70
    Salt 2900

Just noticed that my TA has crept up from 120 to 160. I have been running the slide a lot and I have a new pool mister fountain to try and help cool my water that I have been running for a few hours a day.

Strange thing is, is that my PH has been staying right around 7.6 forever. Has not been creeping up at all, so I have not been adding any MA.

Do I really need to bring down that 160 TA if my PH is staying put??

Thanks.
    15,000 Gallon IG 15x30 fiberglass
    CoverStar auto safety cover
    SWG Aqua PL-PLUS
    Cartridge Filter
    240,000 LXI Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is high TA a problem?

Barring any problems with a high CH, you should be fine. We would recommend bringing the TA down if your acid additions were frequent.

3. Back To Top    #3

Only real problem with TA is when it gets too low. Then, it just gets to hard to maintain your pH.

Other than that, just maintain your TA to keep your CSI in line.

Problems such as high TA are self correcting. The bigest problem with high TA (other if CSI is not in check) is frequent acid additions. And the cure for high TA: Frequent acid additions.

I've found chasing TA to be one of the biggest pool store scams: OH NO... your TA is 70... that's WAY too low. Add all these chemicals to bring it up. Oh... might as well buy a bunch of checmicals to correct your pH. And after you get used to adding acid on a daily basis... Make sure you bring your water in for us to re-test, because you are SURE to drive your TA back down "too low" again. We can start the process all over again!!!! Did you get our flyer about our sale on "shock"?

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I've found chasing TA to be one of the biggest pool store scams:
    Additionally, it seems to me we overemphasize it just a little here on the forum as well.

My thinking is, if you are keeping a pH in the mid 7's without much effort, just let the TA seek it's own level. If it ain't broke......
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Why does the "Water Balance For SWCGs" pool school section say:
    Adjust your Total Alkalinity to 60-80 ppm. (This is IMPORTANT!)
    Is this because of build up on the plates or something else? I ask because I ran my swcg last year (put pool up late in season) and the beginning of this year with high TA and had apparent no problems. It wasn't until just before adding borates that i got it down.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Just pull in 9lb stabilizer (99% Cyanuric acid ). How long does it take to be totally dissolved, because I did not see too much CYA increase.

Thanks again.
    40'x20' square
    1.5 hp prime
    sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

A week
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

It can take up to a week for granular CYA to show up on the test. It's in the water after a day or so but the test won't detect it most of the time for a few days.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

No, it's not, aside from pushing pH up constantly. And waskydiver said it best
    Problems such as high TA are self correcting. The bigest problem with high TA (other if CSI is not in check) is frequent acid additions. And the cure for high TA: Frequent acid additions.
    It's not a health hazard by any means - you bathe and drink that same water!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Why does the "Water Balance For SWCGs" pool school section say:
    Adjust your Total Alkalinity to 60-80 ppm. (This is IMPORTANT!)
    Is this because of build up on the plates or something else? I ask because I ran my swcg last year (put pool up late in season) and the beginning of this year with high TA and had apparent no problems. It wasn't until just before adding borates that i got it down.
    SWG's with high TA drive up pH like... well... something that is really good at driving up pH.

There are people here who can explain it scientifically until your eyes bleed... but I am not one of them.

But, even in those conditions, your TA will tend to find it's own sweetspot as long as you maintain your pH with acid, and keep your eye on your CSI.

And, when you see your CSI is high, most times the most direct action is to keep your pH lower, which lowers your CSI... And the acid which you will be adding will lower TA, which will lower your CSI.

Chasing numbers that don't need to be chased can be very costly.