Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex Easy Set and diatomaceous Earth

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex Easy Set and diatomaceous Earth

I have an Easy Set 18' pool with the Intex 1500 Gallon filter pump (I believe it's 1500 gallon, the pool is three years old and uses the B catridge). I had some brown slime growing on the pool floor, so I used my pool brush and scrubbed it up. Now what I assumed to be dead algae is floating around the pool, causing the water to become cloudy. I've tried shocking and algae guard and the water remains cloudy. I read about diatomaceous earth and how well this works to clear up cloudy water and allow dead algae to be filtered out more effectively. is this something I can use with this type of filter (without damaging it)?

PA Pool Mom
    18ft; 8600 gal; Round AGP; Hayward Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Intex Easy Set and diatomaceous Earth

No. You can add DE to sand filters, but you don't want to add DE to a cartridge filter. You can get a similar effect using one of the fiber based DE substitutes, which are compatible with cartridge filters.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Portland, Oregon

Re: Intex Easy Set and diatomaceous Earth

Clearing the pool of dead algae will only occur after the shocking process is successful.

Most people have been schooled to think that throwing shock product in is the correct way to shock. If you read here you will find that this does not work, and that you have to maintain shock levels rather than raise to shock and walk away.

Read pool school (white button, upper right of this site) and especially the how to shock your pool information. If you follow the guidelines there, the filter cartridge will eventually catch the dead algae because none is growing back when chlorine levels fall below shock.

Even 1ppm below shock level for more than an hour or so can cause a stall. If you are repeatedly falling below shock, algae gets a chance to re-grow and the pool owner just ends up chasing their tail for weeks on end. Shocking properly stops tail chasing and you will see the results in a few days instead of weeks and weeks of same.

And of course, a good test kit is essential. Without it you can only guess what's going on and you won't be able to know if you fall 1ppm below shock an hour after adding chlorine. Read through all the information, and read threads where green swamps are cleared to sparkly. You will soon see that once pool owners shock properly, everything just falls into place and the pool clears right up. Even crummy Intex filters can clear a properly shocked pool.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.