18 years of Baqua..UPDATE! Swapped 8/15 NOW WITH PHOTOS!

Re: 18 years of Baqua..UPDATE! Swapped 8/15 NOW WITH PHOTOS

Went out tonight and added a 182oz of bleach. I know it wasn't up to shock level, but without a test kit or feedback that I wasn't going to fade the liner I wasn't going to add to much. I figured something is better than nothing however. :D

About a minute after adding first bottle of bleach.
photo11.JPG

Filter after I changed the DE for the first time. I will admit however, it's been greenish for the last month or so so it's not all the swap. I also learned it's hard to take a photo of the "fingers".
photo22.JPG

Lastly.....I wasn't able to take a video of the first dose of bleach as I had a crowd that included my two little ones whom had to be held back from getting into the pool by my wife. I figured the second dose video would work just as well. Can't see much, but the color change is still there.

http://youtu.be/55zYkv3zbvU

Thanks for the fix. :)

First test from the pool store. My test kit just showed up. :)

Ta 185
Ch 163
Fc 1.6
Tc over ???
Ph over???
Cya 7 don't ask me how

Now let's crack this white box open and rock some Baqu!

My results at 11:30am
FC 3
Cc 14 ya baby!
Tc 17
Ph 8.2
Ch 170

This was about 20 minutes after 728oz of 6% was added. :)

1:40pm
FC 3
Cc 18

Is it possible that the CC can go up from here? I would think shocking it would only lower the amount?? I may also messed up the numbers as I just started the testing myself. Either way....along ways to go.

Keeping the FC high will reduce the CC over time. I'll be interested to know how high it could go. Sounds like you need more bleach so you can turn it towards lower CC values.

Are you aiming for 15ppm FC or another value?

From my understanding, CC is active chlorine. The chlorine that is actively battling something. Yours is battling the baqua and there's a lot to battle right now. As you kill it, less will battle it. At least that's how I understand it.

I'm checking it hourly, adding bleach, then checking again after about 15 minutes. Each time I check after adding the Fc is around 14 or so, but the CC is raising?

Time for a break....sun is out in full force, and the girls had me up at 3am today. Time for a nap before hitting it again later tonight.

Yeah, CC is combined chlorine. It's bound with something that it is trying to kill. Sort of 'used' chlorine. Shocking and sunshine will generally take care of it.

I was just kinda shocked on that one. Never really thought of it that way.

Either way, until it clears up I'm going to stop checking the CC as it uses a TON of drops. No need to use it as I know it won't pass. :D

PHOTO TIME.....
Shot of the entire pool after shocking it about 3 times to a 15ppm level.
Day_2.JPG

Shot of the steps after the 3rd shocking
Steps_day_2.JPG

Fingers after the first change of DE.....ewwwww
Fingers_day_2.JPG

A quick funny story however. I went to the pool store to buy some DE and a jug of 12% to show my in-laws it's all the same stuff, plus to have them check the levels before I received the kit. After they checked it I told them I was swapping and what had happened. The owner started to talk to me some, and was interested in the swap. He asked if he could stop by and take a look as I do this. He said his only "process" is to stop putting Baquacil into the pool until the sanitizer and shock reach a zero level, often about 3 months. Then start to swap over. He said not once has he had good luck switching over to chlorine as the pools always turn into a cesspool. Guess maybe I can give him a hand next time.....at a small charge. :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I must have been doing something incorrect?

Before shocking at 7pm
1.5 FC
8.5 cc

After 4 x 182oz of 6%
17.5 fc
10 cc

It's starting to turn.....very slowly

I was able to make out the shallow end today....before I swept the pool.

I've gotta be doing something wrong with the CC test.

9am
FC 2.6
CC 12

Added 4 x 182oz 6% (dollar general bleach sucks)
After 15 minutes
FC 11
CC 10

Yeah, I would just run FC for a while, it really is the only one your are truly concerned with and you cant do anything about the cc, and it will save reagent....shhhh...(don't tell Dave I said this.) :lol: Over time the CC will come down. Stay away from DG bleach as it is often old already. Your high CC number shows how much Chlorine is being used up, and you'll be burning up a bunch for a bit longer.

Just tested again at noon....

Fc 9.5

Added 4 x 182 6%
FC 16

Tossed in our vacume as well. I am starting to see the deep end as well. It's just striking me as odd that the more I shock, the higher that gets. Then again this is the first I've played with chlorine. Got some pepsi, my iPhone 100% charged, 20 182oz jugs of bleach, and a sub ready. Wife is out shopping and I'm listening to pandora tossing in bleach for the day. :)

Leebo said:
It's just striking me as odd that the more I shock, the higher that gets.
I am assuming you mean high CC?

I have not had the pleasure of going through what you are but I think having high CC should be expected. From pool school "ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry":
Combined chlorine is an intermediate breakdown product created in the process of sanitizing the pool. CC causes the "chlorine" smell many people associate with chlorine pools. If CC is above 0.5, you should shock your pool. CC indicates that there is something in the water that the FC is in the process of breaking down. In an outdoor pool, CC will normally stay at or near zero as long as you maintain an appropriate FC level and the pool gets some direct sunlight.
You are using Chlorine to breakdown the Baqua, and you have a lot to breakdown. Therefore a lot of CC will need to be produced to complete the task. I think having a high CC reading is good in your case, since it means your chlorine is being used. Eventually, the CC levels will drop when you are closer to the end which should also correspond to less and less demand for chlorine until you meet the criteria.

1pm results
FC 16

Whoops....guess that jug of DG bleach wasn't that bad. :)

Whoops

Just broke that pool-brush. Now I get to find 1/2 of it on the bottom of this mess.

3pm
FC 12.5

4pm
FC of 10.5

Guessing most went to the solar gods. It's now changing colors to a very light green/blue. Wishing by end of tomorrow to see the bottom. Changed the DE again and it wasn't all trashed, you can make out some white powder still.

On another note. Tip for this project....if you plan on sitting and checking hourly, make sure cell phone coverage is good, or neighbors wi-fi works well. Takes forever to load a page, and no YouTube. Thank gosh for the Top Gear's I've got saved on the iPod. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.