Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help deciding on size

1. Back To Top    #1

Help deciding on size

I'm looking at initally a 15x30. The 18x33 is $400 more (upcharge for pool size and installation). Is it worth it?
    Next year I will be adding a deck all the way around so that will be extra too.
    I have 3 kids (8,6 and 4) so I'm sure they'd like the extra space.

Thanks.
    Sharkline Matrix 15x30x54, Hayward 1hp 2 speed pump, Hayward EC-50 DE Filter, Rome/Solarium 105k Heat Pump, Aquabot Rover Jr - Deceased - looking to replace it

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help deciding on size

Very rarely do we hear, "I wish I bought a smaller pool".
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The common response I always see is that no-one ever wishes they had a smaller pool, and a lot of people wish they went with a bigger one. If you have the space, and plan to enjoy the pool for years, then bigger is better.
    18' x 38' x 52" oval AGP with 6' deep end (foam on the walls, preformed coving, and Happy Bottom floor padding)
    Pentair Optiflow 1 HP 2 Speed pump
    Pentair cc200 cartridge filter
    Pentair UltraTemp Model 110 BLK 108,000 BTU Heat Pump
    2 Intex SWG's (copper unplugged)

4. Back To Top    #4

I BELIEVE SMALLER IS BETTER....no I don't
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Split the difference with a 16x32. Pretty happy with mine.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

I just found in the town next to me a Kayak 16x32x54 with decking and fencing. It's 2 years old and the same price as what I'd be paying for a new one installed without the deck. Might go look at it. Having the deck already there would be nice. No idea what it would cost to move take it down, move it and set it up so that might end up being the same.

I'm looking at Namco's Oasis II 15x30 or 18x33 if that makes any difference to anyone. Seems to be the best resin pool for the price. Not getting their other equipment as it seems the Hayward is better.
    Sharkline Matrix 15x30x54, Hayward 1hp 2 speed pump, Hayward EC-50 DE Filter, Rome/Solarium 105k Heat Pump, Aquabot Rover Jr - Deceased - looking to replace it

7. Back To Top    #7

I differ, smaller is better and a whole lot cheaper to maintain All my friends wish they had a smaller pool and in fact two of them are in the process in making their pool smaller and shallower. It depends how you are going to use it. I do not like a pool that I can not physically walk without water coming over the top of my head but everyone has their preference. A pool is a very large investment so make sure you will be able to use it the way you like 95% of the time. Just my 0.02
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Robl
    I just found in the town next to me a Kayak 16x32x54 with decking and fencing. It's 2 years old and the same price as what I'd be paying for a new one installed without the deck. Might go look at it. Having the deck already there would be nice. No idea what it would cost to move take it down, move it and set it up so that might end up being the same.

I'm looking at Namco's Oasis II 15x30 or 18x33 if that makes any difference to anyone. Seems to be the best resin pool for the price. Not getting their other equipment as it seems the Hayward is better.
    Remember most likely you will have to replace the liner, after 2 years it may not be reusable.
    Also, with the number of pools on CL lately, you should be able to talk the person down on $
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

9. Back To Top    #9

I don't always think bigger is better. In your case it probably is though. We bought a 15x24, it seemed plenty big enough and we were somewhat restricted due to our yard size, existing deck and township codes. Due to an error the pool store made we were given a free upgrade to a 15x30. It just fit to code and looked huge in the yard when it was installed. Now that we've backfilled, added a patio and stone it looks so nice and we are so happy we have the bigger size. The kids have plenty of space, my kids are small though, 18 months and 4 years. I'm sure when they are 4 and 8 we'll want the splashing even farther on the other side. LOL. On the flip side my empty nester parents have a 35k gallon in ground and are always jealous of how easy and inexpensive my pool is to care for compared to theirs.
    Currently Pooless

Former Pool:Buster Crabbe resin and steel 30'x15' oval 52" ABG pool Pentair sand dollar filter 1.5 Pentair Dynamo pump13,500 gallons

10. Back To Top    #10

Definitely get the bigger one. That $400 will be a small hit now but you will love it in the long run. That extra 2ft of width makes all the difference in the world. We just got an 18x38 this year and love it. We were used to swimming at a relative's house who has a 16X32 and ours feels HUGE in comparison. It allows room for people who like to hang on the side and we can still have a great volleyball game going.
    Doughboy 18x38 AGP buried 2' deep. 18,400 gal. Hayward Power Flo Matrix. Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter. TF-100 test kit.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks for the help and opinions. Looking at the yard and with adding a deck on the 18x33 may look too big. I'm going to stake it out and see. Expense wise the 15x30 is probably the better choice. I'd like to get some kind of heating option (solar or heat pump) so that's less to heat too.

What about depth? I was looking at a 52" but I see they also have the 54" for about the same price. Smaller top resin rail but that's fine with me since the deck will be right next to the edge. Namco Oasis vs. the Creation. I know kids are small now. Is the extra 2" noticeable?
    Oasis http://store.namcopoolstore.com/oaov52po.html
    Creation: http://store.namcopoolstore.com/crovpo.html