Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: where is vermiculite sold?

1. Back To Top    #1

where is vermiculite sold?

We are starting our pool build next weekend. Were is vermiculite sold? Does anyone know how much we need for a 20x40 3-8 foot deep pool?

Thanks!
    Theresa
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: where is vermiculite sold?

our local redimix concrete yard sells it, try yours

3. Back To Top    #3

You're in Ft. Wayne - look in the yellow pages for Ft. Wayne Pools - they're a national distributor of IG liner pools and have a subsidiary in New England called Baystate Pools.

What you're looking for is 2" of 'ver-con' base throughout the floor. Some, not so simple algebra, with a good bit of trig. will allow you to get a good idea of how much you need.

My best guess would be to get ~ 80 bags - call it 3 pallets (90 bags) if you don't have any large voids in the floor.

Please remember that you may loose mixes during the troweling of the floor - if you can't readily get more vermiculite, be sure to order more than you suspect you'll need!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

If you get in a bind, uline.com sells it in different grades. They have a warehouse in Minneapolis, shipping shouldn't be too much.
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

5. Back To Top    #5

we are having no luck with fort wayne pools. they tell us we have to go through a dealer for anything. We wanted to order an in ground pool kit from them and had no luck. Only referred us to dealers.

However, thanks for the info so far! Very nervous about the pool in general. We are doing it 100% by ourselves. Temps got up to 100 degrees here today, so I'm keeping my eye on the prize.

Thanks!
    Theresa
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

6. Back To Top    #6

I finally found a source for Vermiculite. They carry it at my local agri store. I can preorder it, but they want to know if I want course or medium. Anyone know? I'll have to let them know today so I can get it by the weekend.

Thanks again, and again, and again...
    Theresa and/or Gary

7. Back To Top    #7

Medium!

The coarse stuff is a rel PITA to play with

Also, don't let them give you some medium and the rest coarse - make sure it's all the same grade or you'll be inventing new swear words when a different batch comes out! (trying to blend coarse to medium SUCKS )
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you Ted! Medium it is! Also, these bags are 4 cubic feet, so do the estimate 90 bags still stand? If so, that is a lot of $$. Bags are $18 per so that equates to $1620.00 SALTY

Theresa
    Theresa and/or Gary

9. Back To Top    #9

You can run the volume you need again, but 90 is my best guess.

I wish you well with getting the floor done

If you need more help from me, let me know
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

10. Back To Top    #10

Ted, Thanks so much for your help so far! Dig is Saturday and Pictures start today!

Theresa
    Theresa and/or Gary