What happened to my beautiful pool? It is hot here in WNY, like everywhere. We have had tons of guests over the past week to swim in our 22,000 gallon IG gunite pool. This past Sunday it looked cloudy so we shocked it. A few days later we backwashed it. The chemicals by test strip are all balanced. Yesterday Evening it was perfect! My husband said it looked fine when he turned on the filter this morning. This afternoon we came out to swim and found leaves from the trees nearby floating. It has been a bit windy. I notice a bit of green on the floor of the pool, so I started to brush it and noticed thousands of larvae. Looks like puffed rice with a dark spot in the center. Some moved but most are just dead on the bottom.
My plan is to shock the pool and vacuum. Do you think that will solve the problem? Is there anything else I should do? My parents put this pool in 30 years ago and we have NEVER seen this.