"BBB" is a misnomer

ElkPool

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2010
Elkridge, MD
I put some Borax in my pool this week, and realized that I hardly, hardly ever put Borax in my pool. I put muriatic acid in far more frequently than I do Borax. Has this been your experience? If so, I think the method needs a new abbreviation. Something like "BM method".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've been very lucky to have stable water... I seldom go off 7.5 on the ph... usually lower so all I need to do is aerate
TA is around 80-90 and I like it just where it is! I did Borate my pool, but otherwise I look at the big bag of Baking soda thinking maybe I should return it!

I think the concern is more in regards to pets who make the pool their only source of drinking water. In such a case, it could be an issue.

If a few swallows now and again was actually of major concern I'm certain the powers that be here at TFP would not be recommending it.

boon4376 said:
I have never had to use muriatic acid.

My PH seems to drop when I add liquid chlorine.
According to this post, you were using one pound of Dichlor per week in your 16,000 gallon pool (I presume in addition to using chlorinating liquid or bleach). Though that would add 4.2 ppm FC and 3.8 ppm CYA, it is also net acidic when accounting for chlorine usage/consumption and is equivalent in its net acidity to 10.6 fluid ounces of full-strength Muriatic Acid (31.45% Hydrochloric Acid). I suspect that once you stop using net acidic chemicals (Trichlor, Dichlor, MPS) you will find that your pH will be stable or tend to rise.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.