Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: "BBB" is a misnomer

1. Back To Top    #1

"BBB" is a misnomer

I put some Borax in my pool this week, and realized that I hardly, hardly ever put Borax in my pool. I put muriatic acid in far more frequently than I do Borax. Has this been your experience? If so, I think the method needs a new abbreviation. Something like "BM method".
    32 x 16 20,000 gallon inground vinyl. Pool Genie filter. BBB seems to be working well so far despite high CYA. Aquabot Turbo T which I adore.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: "BBB" is a misnomer

I personally don't want anything with the initals "BM" going into my pool!!!

Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

When I see "BM", I think Bowel Movement. Don't think I want to associate that with a clean swimming pool!
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    I personally don't want anything with the initals "BM" going into my pool!!!

Ah, maybe you think the same thing as I do when you see BM!
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

5. Back To Top    #5

No.. The "BM" method would never work... It requires way too much chlorine.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

So I have to ask you Elk, was that intentional?
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Well yes but the fact remains I put muriatic acid in my pool more frequently than either baking soda or Borax.
    32 x 16 20,000 gallon inground vinyl. Pool Genie filter. BBB seems to be working well so far despite high CYA. Aquabot Turbo T which I adore.

8. Back To Top    #8

I poured 35 boxes of Borax in mine, but all at once.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

I've never added Baking Soda to my pool. Nor Borates. Nor Calcium. Golden State Water Company provides me with all the Calcium and alkalinity I need. And more!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by ElkPool
    Well yes but the fact remains I put muriatic acid in my pool more frequently than either baking soda or Borax.
    Same here.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

11. Back To Top    #11

I've been very lucky to have stable water... I seldom go off 7.5 on the ph... usually lower so all I need to do is aerate
    TA is around 80-90 and I like it just where it is! I did Borate my pool, but otherwise I look at the big bag of Baking soda thinking maybe I should return it!
    24' Round 54" Impulse Ovation AGP, 1.5 HP 2 Spd, 150 Sq Ft. Cartridge Filter, RayPak 130K BTU NG Heater, BBB in full effect!!
    Vist TFT Test Kits --- Visit Pool School ---
    Visit the Pool Calculator

12. Back To Top    #12

Living in the desert and using ground water means high alkiline / high pH. Getting the alkiline desert dust blown into my pool during our nice haboobs also means high alkiline. So I also use acid, and no borates or baking soda.
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

13. Back To Top    #13

I'd like to try borates, but I can not get my 2-year-old to stop putting pool water in his mouth! He has slowed down a bit since I switched to saltwater
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by guamguy
    I'd like to try borates, but I can not get my 2-year-old to stop putting pool water in his mouth! He has slowed down a bit since I switched to saltwater
    Ah, kids! I was swimming with my 4 year old grandson, and he suddenly said "Yuck! This water tastes horrible!"
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

15. Back To Top    #15

I think the concern is more in regards to pets who make the pool their only source of drinking water. In such a case, it could be an issue.

If a few swallows now and again was actually of major concern I'm certain the powers that be here at TFP would not be recommending it.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

16. Back To Top    #16

This is true. See these posts.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

17. Back To Top    #17

I have never had to use muriatic acid.

My PH seems to drop when I add liquid chlorine.
    16,000 gal in-ground
    Pump: Hayward C48K2N143 1HP 230V
    Filter: DE Triton Nautilus FNS-36

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by boon4376
    I have never had to use muriatic acid.

My PH seems to drop when I add liquid chlorine.
    According to this post, you were using one pound of Dichlor per week in your 16,000 gallon pool (I presume in addition to using chlorinating liquid or bleach). Though that would add 4.2 ppm FC and 3.8 ppm CYA, it is also net acidic when accounting for chlorine usage/consumption and is equivalent in its net acidity to 10.6 fluid ounces of full-strength Muriatic Acid (31.45% Hydrochloric Acid). I suspect that once you stop using net acidic chemicals (Trichlor, Dichlor, MPS) you will find that your pH will be stable or tend to rise.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"