Suction Leak? My version....

May 24, 2009
NoVA
Read through a similar post and I determined that I clearly have a suction side leak, with air bubbling out of all of the returns.

So, somewhere between the skimmer and the impeller, air is getting into the system. I've been pretty systematic and figured out where it isn't by process of elimination - the O-ring on the pump strainer basket lid is new & well lubed, drain plug lubed & tightened, etc.

My only remaining guess is the stem from one or both of the gate valves that control the flow from the 2 skimmers. I've tightened the gland nuts, even though they didn't show any signs of leakage, pump on or pump off. One of the valves releases a little bit of water (maybe 2 tbs.) when I shut the pump off. I guess I'm reluctent to believe that such a small leak could be the cause of so much air into the system.

Think I need to repack the stem with new plumbers tape?

Any other thoughs?

Thanks!

CUTiger78 said:
One of the valves releases a little bit of water (maybe 2 tbs.) when I shut the pump off. I guess I'm reluctent to believe that such a small leak could be the cause of so much air into the system.

That's your problem. Ever tried to drink through a straw with a pin hole in it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.