Tiny orange bug invasion!

Jul 21, 2011
I'm new to the pool world. I have an Intex 15 x 48 above ground pool that I got from Walmart 3 weeks ago. This is the exact pool:
(http://www.walmart.com/ip/My-Sunshine-1 ... l/15522796)

I saw these little orange bugs almost a week after opening the pool on a white float we had. It was time to shock the pool anyway and they seemed to have disappeared afterwords. A couple days ago I noticed they were back with a vengeance. They were all over the white metal polls, and on further inspection, the top of the water. I wiped the polls down with Windex and then sprayed it with some bug spray. I shocked the pool again. They're still there and the bite the heck out of you and make you itchy. From my research, I think they're thrips. However, everything I've read about thrips says they go away when it gets hotter out. I live in southern CT and we are currently experiencing a heat wave with above 90 degree temperatures outside. I haven't been able to use my pool because of the bugs. I know it's hard to see, but these are the little orange pests. (They are orange even though they look black in the picture)
0721111330a.jpg

I called one pool place and they told me to drain the pool and start again. I really don't see how that would prevent them from just coming back.

Please, if anyone knows how to get rid of these things please help me.

Might be no see ums. Apt name 'cause you almost can't see um. We had them around our pool one year. Haven't had any this year. Not really alot you can do to get rid of them. They go through life cycles and like to live near bodies of water. Bite the mess out of you. Draining and refilling isn't going to do much to get rid of them. Just draining I'm afraid. :(

You could try burning some of the citronella based products around your pool to see if it would deter them. And I read that Avon's Skin So Soft spray is great for repelling them from your body. I hope something helps you. Been there and feel your pain! :grrrr:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.