Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: 12x30 intex pool too much chlorine

12x30 intex pool too much chlorine

Hi
    I have a 12x30 intex pool, filled it with water - didn't have any chemicals on hand at the time, used it to swim, then on the 3rd day it was turning green and slimy. Finally got some chemicals(shock) and overdid it - put in one full bag of 16oz. I bought a small test kit that tests for ph and chlorine, the chlorine of course is way too high - no suprise. Do I need to empty all the water and start over or just empty part and add fresh water (have already done that once)? I have the pump running and go out every few hours and rinse the filter out. Just wondering when it will be safe to send the kids into the pool again, it is extremely hot & humid here. Suggestions.

Re: 12x30 intex pool too much chlorine

You should start by reading through Pool School. Important things you need:

1. A good test kit. The TF100 is great. In the interim, test results from the pool store will be better than nothing. (FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, CYA)
    2. CYA in the water to prevent the sun from burning off all your chlorine.
    3. KEEP the chlorine level high enough at all times. 16oz of what sounds like it was probably cal-hypo is a VERY SMALL amount of chlorine.
    20k gallon IGP
    Plaster over gunite
    3/4 hp Hayward pump
    Purex Triton DE filter
    TF100 test kit w/ speedstir

Thanks and yes I have been reading the pool school. We do not have a pool store near us. The pool shock label said to add 1 1/4 oz to my size pool but when that didn't yield results I just kept adding it. I don't want to let the kids in if the chlorine is too high. I bought the test kit that I could find in the store, only spent $59 on the pool, do not want to spend as much on a test kit. The bag of pool shock I used reads: All in one shock xtra - ingredients sodium dichloro-striazinetrione dihydrate 64%, alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride 1%, other ingredients 35%, total ingredients 100% available chlorine 35%

Hopefully you've read the article on Seasonal/Temporary Pools.

You've added 30 ppm CYA and 33 ppm FC. I'd switch to using bleach for chlorination now.

What is the max your test kit reads in TC?
    If you have a Walmart nearby, some of them have a HTH 6-way drop based kit that works ok for small pools.

To get you back swimming, take a sample of pool water and dilute it with an equal amount of chlorine free water and test the water, then double the result. I.E. your TC reads 5, multiply that by 2 and your real TC = 10. Once it gets down to 10 you can swim again. (you could actually dilute the pool water with 2 parts of chlorine free water to 1 part pool water and multiply the result by 3 but the accuracy is pretty suspect at that dilution.)
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Yes I have read the seasonal pool link, thanks.
    My test kit for chlorine reads
    and mine is really deep yellow 3.0 or more.

The PH reading says 6.8, 7.2, 7.6, 7.8, 8.2 and mine is in the 7.2 range.

I can check at walmart and see if i can find the kit. Looks like this test kit is probably useless since the numbers I have on my test kit are no where near what numbers you are talking about.

You can do the 3:1 dilution and that'll get you to 12 ppm. I wouldn't go past 3:1 though and even then it's just a guestimate.
    You also need to test your pH once the chlorine comes back down to about 10 or less.

A better test kit is definitely in order.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

I will run out of town today and see if I can find a better test kit. Might be back to ask more questions, thanks to everyone for their help.

Also, I couldn't find the polyquat 60 - is this the same thing? 50% algaecide concentrate ingredients n-alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride 49.8%, n-dialkyl methyl benzyl ammonium chloride .2%, other ingredients 50%. Or is there a brand name I should be looking for?

Walmart's return policy is great. You can tell them the test doesn't work for you and put that money toward the 6-way drop test they sell. That test doesn't go above 5ppm FC though. You will still have to use the dilution method Bama described. Get a jug of distilled water while you're there.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

I didn't get the first test kit from walmart, got it from menards. Ok so on my shopping list today is the hth 6 way test kit, distilled water, anything else I may need?

menards is good with returns too, ours has a kiosk where you can re-print receipts.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG / Hard plumb: Waterway 2HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG / Taylor K-2006 / Central IL ]