Skimmer Weir loose

Apr 29, 2011
South Florida
I own a larger inground pool with spillover spa. While my kids were playing in the pool, my son tells me that the skimmer door is broken( I was thinking what did they break now). Upon further inspection I noticed one of the bolts that holds the hinge for the weir came undone, the nut for the bolt was in the skimmer basket. The other bolt was loose and the door was turned sideways. As I looked closer, the bolts come up from under the skimmer and attach with a nut, the bolt that lost the nut fell down inside hole. Now I have water leaking through the hole that is missing the bolt.

This seems to me like a very strange design. I'm not sure of the make or model of the skimmer(I'll have to inspect it more). I have no way of retrieving the bolt or tightening the other one from the bottom of the skimmer. I also find it strange that the water leaks through the hole, I guess it may have at one time been sealed?? This is probably an old design. The pool is about 13 years old, we bought the house last year.

I'm going to my local pool store to see what they suggest.

I used the A-B epoxy around the sides of the front of the skimmer by the wall to seal some leaks, it worked pretty good. I was thinking about using it on the weir, but not sure if it would hold right.

I will try and post some pics today.

Thanks for your input!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.