Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer Weir loose

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer Weir loose

I own a larger inground pool with spillover spa. While my kids were playing in the pool, my son tells me that the skimmer door is broken( I was thinking what did they break now). Upon further inspection I noticed one of the bolts that holds the hinge for the weir came undone, the nut for the bolt was in the skimmer basket. The other bolt was loose and the door was turned sideways. As I looked closer, the bolts come up from under the skimmer and attach with a nut, the bolt that lost the nut fell down inside hole. Now I have water leaking through the hole that is missing the bolt.

This seems to me like a very strange design. I'm not sure of the make or model of the skimmer(I'll have to inspect it more). I have no way of retrieving the bolt or tightening the other one from the bottom of the skimmer. I also find it strange that the water leaks through the hole, I guess it may have at one time been sealed?? This is probably an old design. The pool is about 13 years old, we bought the house last year.

I'm going to my local pool store to see what they suggest.
    23,000 gallon inground free form pool with spillover spa, Paramount in floor auto pool cleaner, Hayward C17502 filter, Andrews Advantage Series heater, 2hp Pentair WhisperFlo 26 pump for in floor auto pool cleaner, 2hp WhisperFlo 28 pump for pool filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer Weir loose

I'd try some A-B epoxy to stick it back into place and seal the hole.
    Can you post a picture of it. Others may have a better suggestion.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I used the A-B epoxy around the sides of the front of the skimmer by the wall to seal some leaks, it worked pretty good. I was thinking about using it on the weir, but not sure if it would hold right.

I will try and post some pics today.

Thanks for your input!
    23,000 gallon inground free form pool with spillover spa, Paramount in floor auto pool cleaner, Hayward C17502 filter, Andrews Advantage Series heater, 2hp Pentair WhisperFlo 26 pump for in floor auto pool cleaner, 2hp WhisperFlo 28 pump for pool filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Picture from inside skimmer showing hole where bolt fell through.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

This is a picture looking into the skimmer from the pool. I can see the bolt in the hole, but have no way of getting it.

6. Back To Top    #6

You're either gonna have to glue that down or there'll be a shovel in your future! I hope you're not claustrophobic if you decide to dig?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Here is a picture of the hinge for the door, it looks like all one piece. I don't think the door separates from the hinge.

8. Back To Top    #8

It seems like there should have been some sort of gasket to prevent the water from leaking in the holes, even with the bolts in place.

9. Back To Top    #9

The bolt was probably encased under the bottom at one time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator