Relocating a swimming pool?

Jul 14, 2011
Bloomington/IL
Hi All,

We have the opportunity to take over an AG 48" 16x32' oval Doughboy pool (family is moving).

We'd have to take down and re-install @ our yard.

We are pretty decent DIYer's... is there any advice and/or website you could reccommend??

Thanks so much!!

There are several threads here about setting up an above ground pool.

Level, level, level! Did I mention that the area needs to be level? :mrgreen:

If the pool is very many years old you're most likely going to have to have a new liner. Even if only a couple years old I'd be ready to buy one just in case.

Oh yeah, you might want to make sure to level the site really well. :)

Be sure and do a good visual inspection before taking it down. Look for rust, corrosion, and creases in the side walls. Note any missing or damaged pieces and ask if they have any of the manuals for the pool and equipment. Take lots of pictures as it is currently standing and each step of the take down. Keep a box of zip lock bags and a sharpie to label small parts.

Do some research and determine the best location for the pool. The skimmer should be located so the prevailing winds blow toward the skimmer, especially if you get a lot of leaf debris in your yard. You can run longer pipe if needed so the pump and filter can be closer to the best location for electricity, but since the hole for the skimmer is already cut, it needs to be downwind to help it work properly. You could cut a new skimmer and return location if you wanted and either patch the old one or use both sets.

Decide if you want foam coves and bottom or sand. Be sure your installation site leaves plenty of room to access all sides of the pool for maintenance and repairs. One way is to take the dimensions of the pool and use spray paint to mark the outline on the grass. Add about a foot all the way around to give some leeway and see if it will be too close to anything else.

Thanks so much for the great advice, I really appreciate it!!

A little more info.. as well as some additional help I'm seeking...

The pool is 3hr travel distance away and we are basically thinking that we will buy this as a pool "shell" .. the pool is already dismantled.

We plan to buy a new liner, pump, filter, etc. ourselves.. and start from scratch on almost everything else but the walls and supports.

One thing we have working in our favor is we have already contacted the excavator that works w/ the local Doughboy Dealer, and he will work
w/ us on making the site as level as possible. We checked references, and he gets a A+ rating.

We have been trying our best to do as much research as possible. We have watched the Youtube videos from Doughboy on how to assemble
one of their oval pools and have gotten a hold of the instruction manual as well.

The concern we have is that the present owner has told us that the pool walls are in 2 separate pieces... from what we've been able to gleam
off the internet, Doughboy Oval pools have a continuous sheet of steel for their pool walls w/ a single seam.

Before we drive 3 hrs to see this.. do any of you know if Doughboy, does in fact, manufacter pools w/ 2 walls/seams???

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks again for your help so far!!!

Nothing on there website gives any hint either way. I'd call them and ask before I drove 3 hours.

That wall will be about 84' long so it wouldn't surprise me if it was in two pieces.

You're kinda at the mercy of the people that dismantled it because you'll have to take their word that it wasn't bend or wrinkled, or missing any parts. Since you're not paying anything for it, it's most likely worth the trouble to go get it.

Thanks Bama Rambler!

I took your advice and did call the owner. He does sound legit, so we are planning to make the road trip this week.

I plan on taking lots of pic.s and will hopefully post the entire process of relocating and restoring an older AGP.

Maybe it can help someone else in the future on this forum, that may want to consider what I'm doing now.

Thanks again!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.