New Forum Member and Pool Chem Novice!

Jan 1, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Greetings and Salutations - Happy New Year!

I am a "new" pool guy - have never managed water chemistry before. Here are my pool specs:

• 2003 - 11070 gallons, Gunnite/Pebble Tech Freeform pool with 3 pumps:
    water fall pump, skimmer pump (aerator - bubbler?), and a main drain pump
Pool has buit in floor cleaner system and two skimmers basket and a covered skimmer with fine bag.

In Ground Pool with Cartridge Filter system (new filters added).

The Pool was GREEN with swimming creatures before we closed on the house. Pool has been drained and acid washed. ( I spent 12 hours scrubbing calcium scale with MA + 4 pumice stones and a running hose, respirator and eye protection.

Chem specs
7DEC FC - 3.5 TAC - 0 PH - 7.6 CYA - 0 TA ? CH ? TDS - 600 PHOS - 100 (Leslie Pool Store Test)
28 DEC FC - 0 CC - 0 PH - 8.0 CYA - 0 TA - 130 CH - 330 TDS ? Phos ? (Taylor 2006 Test Kit)

Added 20 oz Dry Acid and 40 oz 6% Bleach

31DEC FC 1.6 CC - 0 PH 7.8 CYA - 0 TA - 120 CH - 350 TEMP = 39 deg F (Brrrrrr!)

Question:

1- What should be my goals this winter to set the pool up for success with swimming in April?
I am looking at things like moving the CYA to 40, Borates (unk) to 50, FC to 2.5, PH to 7.6?? :shock:

THANKS!

Kevin

Welcome to TFP!

It sounds like you are doing just fine. With the water that cold there is hardly any chance of algae growing (though it is remotely possible).

In the spring you will want to add CYA and bring the TA down a bit. But don't try either of those before the water warms up a little. For now just keep an eye on the PH and add some bleach now and again and you should be fine. With the water cold you should only need to check occasionally.

Hi, Kevin,

Welcome to the forum. You'll get lots of great help here.

My first project would be to get some CYA in your pool. Your water will stay warm enough that you'll want to keep residual chlorine in the pool constantly to prevent algae.....that'll prove difficult without CYA.

CYA of 40ppm would be fine. It sounds like you're already maintaining your pH in the mid-7's which is good. I'd hold off on the borates for a little while.....get your feet wet managing chlorine, CYA, and pH then you may choose to add borates.

I'm a little surprised at your water temperature of 39. I would have assumed your pool temp would stay in the 60's (Or was that air temp?)

:-D Thanks for the feedback. I have already recieved immeasurable help from searching the froum posts...I will try to keep my questions to areas that I am not confiednt I understand!

As for the temperature - the little submerged duck reads 38-40 (evening temps are 31-32?!)

To get the CYA - should I use the Tri-chlor pucks, or should I figure out the - sock in the skimmer deal (what substance was that?).

Kevin

Kevin,

Man, that's cold! I always think of Las Vegas as a pretty toasty place but I guess it gets pretty cool. At that temperature, you have little or no algae problems so there's no hurry to get your chlorine or CYA up.

Let me ask you this....Are you planning to just maintain your pool as if it were Summer? In other words, I assume the water is at normal level and you are running the pump occasionally and your water is clear and you have no intention of putting a cover on the pool. Let us know that first and we'll suggest a couple of things you can do so your pool will be ready to go as soon as it warms up.

Correct:

I am "keeping it open", running all three pumps from midnight to 6 am to prevent freeze damage...

Cleaning the skimmer basket, and PLAYING with the Chem set.... :lol:

I hope to add a SWG in the before summer, and still don't fully understand the plumbing system.

I am working on learing things such as...have never used the pool vac & Hose, etc...

The pool is nice and clear, with a small pile of sand, rock parts in one small area, I am contemplating vacuming up, when I figure out how to do it, and not send the rocks into the filter directly?!

The pump strainer basket will keep any rocks from getting to the pump or the filter. Ideally there should be a vacuum plate that fits onto the skimmer that allows you run the water through the skimmer basket as well as the pump strainer basket.

I think if it were my pool I would still get some CYA in there and then keep the free chlorine around 2ppm plus 'til it warms up.

While I am seldom a big fan, Tri-chlor tabs might just be perfect in your case. They'll keep a little FC in the pool and s-l-o-w-l-y add some CYA. If you start with the tabs, check FC from time to time (maybe every three days or so) and then test for CYA about after a month. If you get impatient waiting on the tabs to bring your CYA up to around 40ppm, you can get it CYA - cyanuric acid) at Lowe's/HD or pool store and add it directly to your skimmer (pump running) or do the sock technique.

If you don't get the SWG, be sure to discontinue use of tabs next summer......they'll eventually add too much CYA.

If you get an SWG, you'll want your CYA around 60-80 but can always add it later.

Post pics and questions about the plumbing....lot's of sharp folks here who will help out any way they can.

Thanks guys...

I found a partially full 5 lb cannister of CYA on the property and will be getting it in this weekend...

I will get the plumbing picture on ASAP...I have never posted a picture, If I can "browse" my computer for it I should be OK...

Alsp stopped in a local Paddock Pool Store (original MANUF of the pool) they seemed more knowledgeable that the closer Leslie store folks...

Another Question for the crew here...is there an inherent problem with installing a SWG system in a very HOT climate?
...after June 1 it is commonly over 105 deg F and will stay over one hundo into SEPT...with 110 not uncommon...nightime temps of 85-95 at 10 pm

In short...is there any reason, my consideration of a SWG system here is not agood idea?

Kevin

Poolscout said:
Another Question for the crew here...is there an inherent problem with installing a SWG system in a very HOT climate?
...after June 1 it is commonly over 105 deg F and will stay over one hundo into SEPT...with 110 not uncommon...nightime temps of 85-95 at 10 pm

In short...is there any reason, my consideration of a SWG system here is not agood idea?

Kevin

None that I know of. SWG technology started in Australia and really got a good start in this country in Florida and Arizona, all known for high temperatures! You should be fine but you might want to consider adding a reverse cycle heat pump to your system to cool your pool off in the summer! :shock: :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.