Oppressive Heat!

May 24, 2011
How is everyone handling this major heat wave? Seems like it has been hot forever here in Southern Indiana! There is no end in sight either! My pool is doing pretty good since I added more stabilizer. I am adding a jug of bleach a day tho. I think that is mostly because I want to keep it toward the high side because I had a major algea battle a few weeks ago and don't want to do that again. The pool is at 90 degrees but with evaporation I should be able to add some water tonight. Enjoy summer and stay safe out there!
PS...I LOVE BBB! :cool:

This heat wave is horrible :grrrr:

Even tho we are not as hot as some, 100 w/index 110 today, it is miserable. The only way to be outside even for a few minutes is to get wet - with water!
How people are able to work outside in this is unbelievable.

Since I tossed my old pool thermometer, I don't know the temp.
But, I do know it is cool and refreshing :-D

Stay safe out there!

I have guys building my deck in this heat... as much as I want that deck, I do feel sorry for them. I told them they are more than welcome to jump in the pool at any time... btw, they all complimented me on how clean my water looks. :)

I work outside. Today I packed up at 1 O'clock in 110 heat index. Yesterday I worked until 5 PM and it was just as hot...10 hours and it was torture. I use a carb/electrolyte powder called Glyco-Peak, 3 serving in 1.5 gallons which keeps me alive. Friday my area will see 119 heat index but no work for me...I'll be headed to the VA mountains and hopefully get a few degrees of relief.

Even in 100 degrees it's amazing how the pool is an instant rescue.

Anyone want to dig some replacement lines? Nice hard packed clay too! Actual temp tomorrow is expected to be 103. Add the humidity....

I have 3 things to do tomorrow. Pick up my new glasses, seal a leaking light conduit, and throw out some stuff in the yard.

Scott

The important thing is to do the outside things before 10 AM if at all possible, even if that means getting up super early. Then as the heat builds you can do the things that are not outdoors, if that can be managed.

I do hope that kids on sports teams are taking a break, that sort of thing is dangerous. A child or two dies each year in Texas due to sports or similar events in excessive heat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Heat is good, cold is bad :mrgreen:

My GM said that none of the employees should be working outside today (that was nice of her, but the pools need to be cleaned/ maintained :| ) I spent 7 hours out in 97+--- what do I care, it's my job and I'm gonna do it (at least I didn't have to trowel any concrete or vermiculite :cool: )

Honestly, these folks in Maine don't know how to deal with a little heatwave! (this would be a fairly standard day for Richmond, with a Bermuda High going on :cheers: ) (then again, y'all down south can't handle more than 1" of snow in the winter :p )

Just remember one thing about heat......you don't have to shovel it off your driveway to get to work in the morning.

I swapped out my Aug. week of vacation for this past week just to enjoy the pool in this heat. Hope I don't end up crying in August! Pool season is TOO short here and pool weather is never a sure thing. Two years ago the average high temp in July was 68. It was not a good season for pools!

Not too bad here on the gulf coast (FL panhandle). Temps been around 90 and humidity about 65-75. Since we have a constant breeze coming off the gulf - it's actually pleasant. Pool temp gets to about 85 during the day (partial sun) then drops to 83-84 when the sun drops below the trees casting a shadow on the water. With the breeze tonight - it actually felt cooler when I got OUT of the pool! :whoot: :party:

Just remember to HYDRATE !! Water and/or Gatorade!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.