Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Oppressive Heat!

1. Back To Top    #1

Oppressive Heat!

How is everyone handling this major heat wave? Seems like it has been hot forever here in Southern Indiana! There is no end in sight either! My pool is doing pretty good since I added more stabilizer. I am adding a jug of bleach a day tho. I think that is mostly because I want to keep it toward the high side because I had a major algea battle a few weeks ago and don't want to do that again. The pool is at 90 degrees but with evaporation I should be able to add some water tonight. Enjoy summer and stay safe out there!
    PS...I LOVE BBB!
    17K gal, AG, Hayward Sandfilter, new to the BBB method.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Oppressive Heat!

This heat wave is horrible

Even tho we are not as hot as some, 100 w/index 110 today, it is miserable. The only way to be outside even for a few minutes is to get wet - with water!
    How people are able to work outside in this is unbelievable.

Since I tossed my old pool thermometer, I don't know the temp.
    But, I do know it is cool and refreshing

Stay safe out there!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have guys building my deck in this heat... as much as I want that deck, I do feel sorry for them. I told them they are more than welcome to jump in the pool at any time... btw, they all complimented me on how clean my water looks.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

I work outside. Today I packed up at 1 O'clock in 110 heat index. Yesterday I worked until 5 PM and it was just as hot...10 hours and it was torture. I use a carb/electrolyte powder called Glyco-Peak, 3 serving in 1.5 gallons which keeps me alive. Friday my area will see 119 heat index but no work for me...I'll be headed to the VA mountains and hopefully get a few degrees of relief.

Even in 100 degrees it's amazing how the pool is an instant rescue.

5. Back To Top    #5

It's just another normal summer in the south! The solar heater is off and pool was 92 at 6pm today. We may have to start running it a night to bring it back down to 85-88.
    Ken & Shari
    Savannah, GA
    16' x 40' freeform fiberglass inground (Pacific model, mfg by Tallman Pools), 23k gal, 2" plumbing throughout, Intellichlor IC-40, Easy Touch controller, Intelliflow VS 3050 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Quad Cartridge filter. 4 Jandy deck jets (3/4" plumbing), Fiberstars color changing lighting, SR Smith salt friendly diving system, Interfab Wild Ride slide, Aquasol Solar Heat (5 panels 4'x12' DIY install automated with ET) RIP Nitro Wall Climber Mar 2011-Aug 2012, Nitro is survived by a Polaris 360.

6. Back To Top    #6

Anyone want to dig some replacement lines? Nice hard packed clay too! Actual temp tomorrow is expected to be 103. Add the humidity....

I have 3 things to do tomorrow. Pick up my new glasses, seal a leaking light conduit, and throw out some stuff in the yard.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

7. Back To Top    #7

The important thing is to do the outside things before 10 AM if at all possible, even if that means getting up super early. Then as the heat builds you can do the things that are not outdoors, if that can be managed.

I do hope that kids on sports teams are taking a break, that sort of thing is dangerous. A child or two dies each year in Texas due to sports or similar events in excessive heat.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

8. Back To Top    #8

It was warm in greater Los Angeles today; I set up my digital thermometer and it showed 89º in the shop this afternoon. Must have been 30-35% humidity, too.
    :-Þ
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

106 today. Just a typical summer day here in Tucson.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Yeah, but it's a dry heat 105 here today 97 at my desk-I wish it would snow
    12X24 Oval AGP +/- 7100 gal
    Clearwater 100 cartridge filter
    Hi-Flo 2sp 1hp pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Heat is good, cold is bad

My GM said that none of the employees should be working outside today (that was nice of her, but the pools need to be cleaned/ maintained ) I spent 7 hours out in 97+--- what do I care, it's my job and I'm gonna do it (at least I didn't have to trowel any concrete or vermiculite )

Honestly, these folks in Maine don't know how to deal with a little heatwave! (this would be a fairly standard day for Richmond, with a Bermuda High going on ) (then again, y'all down south can't handle more than 1" of snow in the winter :P )
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Just remember one thing about heat......you don't have to shovel it off your driveway to get to work in the morning.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

I swapped out my Aug. week of vacation for this past week just to enjoy the pool in this heat. Hope I don't end up crying in August! Pool season is TOO short here and pool weather is never a sure thing. Two years ago the average high temp in July was 68. It was not a good season for pools!
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir

14. Back To Top    #14

Not too bad here on the gulf coast (FL panhandle). Temps been around 90 and humidity about 65-75. Since we have a constant breeze coming off the gulf - it's actually pleasant. Pool temp gets to about 85 during the day (partial sun) then drops to 83-84 when the sun drops below the trees casting a shadow on the water. With the breeze tonight - it actually felt cooler when I got OUT of the pool!

Just remember to HYDRATE !! Water and/or Gatorade!!!
    20,125 gal. (2,690.6 c.f.) In-Ground / Concrete (Gunite) / Pentair Tagelus TA-60-60D Sand Filter / Pentair Whisper Flo Pump Model WF-24 @ 1HP / Hayward Veri-Flo Valve Model 710 / Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 test kit / Pool School student

15. Back To Top    #15

Hot, Hot , Hot here in Southeast Missouri and looks like it is going to stay that way ! Our pool stays between 84 and 88 degrees which is perfect for me anything under 84 i think is cold.
    Steve Frakes
    15' X 48'' Intex Metal Frame
    Intex Sand Filter 16'' 2650 GPH
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
    BBB and Borated