Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gravel/sand getting in behind liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Gravel/sand getting in behind liner

I have a 6-year-old vinyl liner pool. For some reason I am getting sand and gravel in between the liner and the pool walls (you can readily feel it with your hand). Seems to get worse every year. The only thing I can think of is the winter freeze/thaw (I'm in Ontario) has separated the aluminum coping the top of the pool wall and the A-gravel under the concrete deck is getting washed between the two. However everything looks fine from the outside. Anyone ever heard of this?

Thanks,
    Sean
    In-Ground. White Marbelite plaster. 21'-7" x 38' Figure Eightish Custom diving pool with 9' deep end. 24,750 Gallons. Pentair Challenger 2 hp pump, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus CCP420 Cartridge Filter, Paramount PCC-2000 In Floor Cleaning system with Debris Canister. Pool/House was a foreclosure that sat dormant for at least 2 years, and was an actual swamp. Using BBB and POP I made it a sparkling backyard oasis. I have a TF100 kit, and I know how to use it (mostly!). This is my FIRST REAL pool, but thanks to TFP, I know what I'm doing! (mostly!).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gravel/sand getting in behind liner

Is it a metal walled pool?
    I'd think you'd be able to see it if the coping was separating from the wall.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, it is a steel-wall/concrete bottom vinyl lined pool (Kafko to be precise). There doesn't appear to be any separation, but of course the join is hidden behind the liner. I really don't know how else so much debris could be getting in there.

I guess the pool will have to be partially drained and the liner unclipped to take a look. Is unclipping and re-clipping a 6-year-old liner feasible?
    In-Ground. White Marbelite plaster. 21'-7" x 38' Figure Eightish Custom diving pool with 9' deep end. 24,750 Gallons. Pentair Challenger 2 hp pump, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus CCP420 Cartridge Filter, Paramount PCC-2000 In Floor Cleaning system with Debris Canister. Pool/House was a foreclosure that sat dormant for at least 2 years, and was an actual swamp. Using BBB and POP I made it a sparkling backyard oasis. I have a TF100 kit, and I know how to use it (mostly!). This is my FIRST REAL pool, but thanks to TFP, I know what I'm doing! (mostly!).

4. Back To Top    #4

Maybe, but that's pushing it. At 6 years old I'd probably just live with it for a couple more years if it isn't too bad and deal with it when it's time for a new liner.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit