Ok, I know we aren't supposed to drink pool water, but some will inevitably find its way into the mouth. After I started adding Borax, we began noticing an oily, soapy and very persistent bad taste from the water in the pool. The taste doesn't hit at first, but builds and then persists for hours.
The pool is a 15'x42" Intex AGP. I have added about three cups of Borax and I was going to slowly increase it to the 30 ppm level. That's the only new thing that has gone into the water in the last week.
It has an Intex SWG and has 2,600 ppm salt (being increased to 3,000). I have used trichlor tablets the pool store talked me into and will discontinue them when the CYA hits 60 or so. I used acid to reduce the PH. I have used some polymer algaecide, a flocculent and a clarifier, but none of that has gone in for over a week. The only thing in the last week besides the trichlor and some Intex generated chlorine was the borax and about 200 gallons of county utility water which tastes fine.
It doesn't make sense that just three cups of borax could make 3,900 gallons of water taste bad, so I was wondering if something else might be going on. Could the Borax have reacted with something in the water? Again, I have used all the other products before and never noticed a bad taste from the water. Not until the borax went in.
Thanks in advance!