Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No pressure gauge on sand filter!

1. Back To Top    #1

No pressure gauge on sand filter!

My neighbors just gave me a sand filter - they decided they weren't going to mess with their above ground pool anymore, so they gave it to me. The filter is a hayward, don't know the model, might be as much as 18 years old (checked laterals and everything, excellent condition.) It has no pressure gauge, though. How could I install one? And if I don't, how do I tell I need to backwash, and how long should I do it for?
    They had some sand already in the filter, but not much, and I put approx. 75 pounds of sand to get it about 3/4 full, so I would estimate it to be the 100lb size. I have a Hayward 1hp pump, and it doesn't seem to produce enough to run the auto-vac, although plenty to use the manual vac, and to circulate the water. Is this due to having too much sand, too small of a pump, needing more back washing, or what? When I was getting a lot of dust and algae (dead) out of the pool yesterday, suction at the vacuum went down a whole lot, but improved a lot after back washing for about 3 minutes.
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No pressure gauge on sand filter!

There's a place for the gauge. It's most likely plugged and it'll be on the valve if you have the multiport model.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, I have the multiport valve - the same one Hayward still uses. And now that you mention it, I think I saw it. I was wondering why there was a little drain plug on the valve!
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Yep, that's where the gauge goes.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit