Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trouble Getting A accurate CC reading

1. Back To Top    #1

Trouble Getting A accurate CC reading

I am using taylor 2066 test kit. I am in the process of converting my baqua pool to chlorine. In order to know the test is complete I need to test cc and I can not get a reading I keep adding drops and the color will not change from pink. Any suggestions. I added non chlorine shock before the coversion start, it says that may skew your results... help...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trouble Getting A accurate CC reading

Let's make sure you are doing the test right:
    You start by adding your R-0870 powder, then drops of R-0871 until clear, then 5 drops R-0003, then R-0871 again, correct? I just want to make sure it's not a testing error.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

The non-chlorine shock will skew the results but if you haven't added any since you started the conversion it's gone by now and you should be able to get a CC reading. It may be very high.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I am doing the test by adding r0871 until clear then the 5 drops but I can never get it to turn clear again. Is that because they are so high I counted drops until like 20 and still the water was pink.....

5. Back To Top    #5

20 drops is only 10 ppm CC. It's quite common to have more CC than that during a conversion. Add more drops next time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

When should I stop... Can the CC be higher than the FC

7. Back To Top    #7

ok here goes i just tested the water FC 9 and I added the 5 drops of r0003 the water turned slightly pink and as i added more the water go darker pink. Does that mean that my cc is 0.5 or less????

8. Back To Top    #8

Re: Re: Trouble Getting A accurate CC reading

Quote Originally Posted by afoster0822
    ok here goes i just tested the water FC 9 and I added the 5 drops of r0003 the water turned slightly pink and as i added more the water go darker pink. Does that mean that my cc is 0.5 or less????
    After you add the 5 drops of r003, what bottle are you using for the rest of the drops? If it just barely turned light pink, it should have needed only a drop or two to go clear. You are not just adding more and more of the r003 are you?? You only do 5 drops of out and then switch back to adding the r0871 until clear.
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

9. Back To Top    #9

I add the 5 r0003 then r0871 again.... I am not sure what is going on.... Can your cc level be higher than your FC level? Sometimes after getting clear for the FC the water will turn pink on it's own maybe that is messing up the results?

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, you CC can be higher than your FC level. It cannot however, be high than the TC (total chlorine).

11. Back To Top    #11

How do you get a total chlorine level? by adding the FC and CC or with a test

12. Back To Top    #12

Re: Re: Trouble Getting A accurate CC reading

Quote Originally Posted by afoster0822
    I add the 5 r0003 then r0871 again.... I am not sure what is going on.... Can your cc level be higher than your FC level? Sometimes after getting clear for the FC the water will turn pink on it's own maybe that is messing up the results?
    The tests need to done immediately. It just needs to stay clear a second or two.
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

13. Back To Top    #13

Something's not sounding right.
    You said.
    ok here goes i just tested the water FC 9 and I added the 5 drops of r0003 the water turned slightly pink and as i added more the water go darker pink.
    Then you said.
    I add the 5 r0003 then r0871 again.... I am not sure what is going on.... Can your cc level be higher than your FC level?
    So are you adding more than 5 drops of R-0003?

The tests have to be ran pretty close together. If you let the test set after you do the FC test it will tuen back pink after several seconds. I add an extra drop of R-0871 when doing the FC test jut to make sure it's really clear.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

No I am only adding the 5 drops. I will try adding an additional r0871 to be sure its clear before testing the CC. That might be the problem i am having. Thanks I will post the results tomorrow!