Quick question on clearing up pool

LWillis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
Guys,
I had an algae bloom a few weeks ago that I couldn't battle. I knew at the beginning of the season my CYA was high, but thought I could get through the summer. I use 3" trichlor tablets and CYA rose a bit higher. So did a huge water change, followed the shock instructions here and now have things under control again.

My question is that the algae is gone, but the water is not quite clear yet. I suspect due to high TA levels (See readings below). Any advice on how to lower TA quickly. I've been slowly lowering the PH and following the information in pool school. But will take a long time at this rate. Any advice is appreciated.

I've got an 18x32 above ground pool, vinyl liner, 300 lb sand filter.
PH - 7.2 (lowering)
CL - 10 ppm (Been keeping it slighty on the high side to insure algae is gone
CYA - 40 ppm (after 60% water change)
TA - 240 PPM (I have well water, and anything else is too expensive to truck in)
CH - 50 ppm (I know his is low, but wasn't concerned since vinyl liner)

Water is just slightly cloudy at this point.

Poolschoolgrad said:
Continue to lower the TA as per pool school directions. This is the safest way :goodjob:
Bump the FC up to 16 for 2 more days.
pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

At the same time, you can add a little DE to the sand filter.
Keep that pump/filter running 24/7.
You will soon be able to see the difference :cool:
Please report back in a couple of days.

Just wanted to say thanks to Poolschoolgrad. I bumped up the chlorine and and started using some DE in the sand filter. After a few more days the water is clear again. TA is still high and will keep working to bring it down. Sun is hot, water is clear, life is good.

Thanks all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.