Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Chlorine chart

Chlorine chart

I've been teaching a non techie how to use BBB to take care of his pool. We got him a test kit, and defeated the alage and now he needs to maintain. He is not a computer person and I don't think has ever heard of an "app". Isn't there a chart I can print that shows how much bleach to add to raise FC, based on the CYA?
    Thanks!
    16K Gal in-ground Vinyl, Sand Dollar sand filter, Haywood pump

Re: Chlorine chart

Does he have a computer at all?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    1.5 hp Speck pump 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

Chlorine chart

Nope

there's a chart in pool school, print it out for him.

pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
    29,000 gallon, 18' x 44' Indoor plaster pool - 8'x'8 spa in corner. Well water, TF-100,
    pool cover, Pentair MasterTemp 400k btu heater, Jandy RS-4, 4 x 105 sq ft cartridge filters,
    Wisperflow WFE-4 1.0 HP pump for pool, WFE-6 1.5 HP pump for spa jets, MagnaSweep.

It would be almost impossible to make a generic chart for that, the amount you have to add is different depending on the size of the pool, CYA level, etc., so there would have to be an almost endless number of charts. You could probably make him one though, since you are only targeting one size pool.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II T100 Sand Filter, CompuPool CPCS48 SWG, Borates at 50 ppm, TF-100 test kit

How big is his pool? You could just break it down super simple for him - a large jug of clorox = Xppm of chlorine for his pool. Then he can just add a 1/4 jug, 1/2 jug... etc. Could do a similar thing with acid to rough in a ph.

For the rest of it maybe he could tell you his results twice a year and you could calc anything he needs......
    15500 Gal Gunite/Plaster circa 1960

Chlorine chart

That's a good idea Robbie. I couldn't function without my iPhone - don't know how people live without a computer

Perhaps you can go on to the pool calculator, enter the volume of his pool and then create a table of what it takes to raise or lower the different parameters for their pool by 0.1, 1, or 10 ppm as appropriate (pH, FC, CYA, ...).
    27K gal, IG vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, 24" sand filter, Goldline Aqua Plus SWG

I did basically that a long time ago. Put in my gallons and plugged in now values and target values to determine what was needed to add .5, 1, 1.5, 2, etc. It is not exact, but it let me figure out that I could estimate closely by adding 11 oz for every 1ppm I need to add. Target FC does not change, so when I test, I figure out how far I am away from target and multiply by 11. Very easy to do in my head and keeps my smartphone away from water! So, all you need to do is figure out his target level and figure out how many ounces to add 1ppm.
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

If he doesn't want to do math in his head and will be using the same measuring cup each time, just take a sharpie and make marks up it at .5, 1, 1.5, 2.... You can figure these out using the calculator.

Acid would be harder.since it depends on TA level as well.
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!