Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Too much free chlorine after shock

1. Back To Top    #1

Too much free chlorine after shock

18,400 gallon pool. I added some bleach to shock the pool (green algae just starting to grow on floor of pool), however I added too much. I just checked the free chlorine and it was at 30ppm (should be around 16-20 for shocking). CC is 0.5, and CYA is around 47. It's supposed to be very hot and sunny for the next couple of days. Will the free chlorine lower on it's own, or should I lower it with chemicals? Thanks!!!!
    17,500 gallons, Vinyl, Above ground, Hayward Sand filter, Hayward 1.5hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Too much free chlorine after shock

It will come down very fast on its own. In fact, if you have algae, you will probably be adding more bleach soon!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

should the level come down fast enough to swim in it tomorrow or the next day?

4. Back To Top    #4

Remember, shocking is a process, not a one-time addition. You need to hold shock level until you can pass the overnight loss test, your CC is less than .5, and the pool is clear.

pool-school/shocking_your_pool
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Sounds good, thanks for you help!

6. Back To Top    #6

If you are done shocking the FC will come down pretty fast and you can swim up to your shock level. Which is 20 for a CYA of 50.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit