Above Ground Pool

tpg

May 10, 2007
virginia
good Evening,

My wife and I are looking to install an above ground pool for our family to use. We are thinking of purchasing this pool here in the 15x26 size with the luxury package with the foam floor and coping.
[web]http://www.sunenterprises.com/platinumpools.htm[/web]

Having very limited knowledge of these things, I was wondering what other people who have pools think about this particular pool and or company. I am also wondering about salt water generators? What are there any pros and cons to these things? I also want to add a Solar water heater to this pool, My runs would be 12 ft. tall and 12 ft. to the heaters from the pool. The pump that comes with the pool is a 2 hp. A friend tells me that that may be to much pump for this. Any ideas?

Thanks,
TPG

Someone with more knowledge than I will add to this...

I just read a comment by a reputable member, don't remember which pool board it was on, about a very similar pool, maybe even the same one, that it was a good deal. However, the pump was oversized (not sure if that took solar roof panels into account) and he said skip the luxury package. If you follow the maintenance advice on this forum, you will find you probably don't want the chlorinator anyway, unless you go out of town frequently.

Welcome to TFP! you will learn a lot of valuable information here.

(I must say if I have to get a pool delivered as pictured on your link, I think I would die!! :shock: :shock: :shock: )

Thanks for your thoughts. honestly, we really started looking when we realized the best pool dealer in our area (They are located in Martinsburg WV) wanted what we thought was way too much money for a pool. To give you an example, They tried to sell me a doughboy DesertSpring, 16X32, 20 gage liner pump and filter only, for $10,400 installed.

We just kinda looked at each other! First we did not want one that long. second, after looking at Doughboy's website, we were certain that they also had other sizes, but the dealer did not want to hear that.

So we just though, what the heck, we can build it....So we started looking around and on the web. Found this one and thought that looks good.

Again, thanks for the input, can't wait to hear what others think.

TPG

Sure you can build it. It just takes some sweat equity and a lot of time. I like the looks of the pool, it appears to have some structural integrity designed into it. Personally I would not go with the Luxury Package though. Depending on the price though I suppose if you wanted the steps, the fountain could be cool with a light in the pool, maybe, but the chlorinator is useless IMHO. All you need to do is get someone to dump chems in your pool if you go away. People always talk about their pool sitters neglecting the pool while they are gone and coming home to a green mess. I say pay someone to do it. And tell them how to do it. Bleach, Borax, Baking Soda, Muratic Acid. Period. No buts.

Steve,
Thanks for your insight. We have a friend who is a GC and has agreed to help with the install. He has installed quite a few AGPs and feels confident that we can get it built rather painless.

We hope to purchase a pool soon and while I do like the looks of this pool, I do have some reservations about the company after reading the Better Business site. So we are still kinda looking.

Good for you for looking in on them. I just bought my pool from a local company about 20 miles away. They have been in business forever, but I installed it (twice I may add, I moved and they did not want it...). But the nice thing about that is that if I need a new skimmer accessory, or anything for the pool, I can immediately go there and grab it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.