CYA keeps going up

Jul 7, 2011
So I have been using the BBB method for almost two weeks now... My pool is looking great. I am using the TFTest kit. What is strange is it seems like my CYA is going up. It was 90, I drained, refilled, it was at 50, moved up to 65 and today it is at 90?

FC 8.5
CC 3.5
TC 12
PH 7.5
T/A 110
CYA 90

You have not used solid chlorine at all? No shock products or tablets?

What about those products before the drain? How close to the drain were they used? With CYA not always showing up immediately on tests, perhaps your pool's level was higher than 110 when you drained and it is only showing up on the test now?

Your cc is 3.5? If that's true then you have some sort of algae problem.

The CYA test really is testing cloudiness - right? Perhaps your water is much cloudier now and that combined in the test makes it appear that CYA has gone way up? Obviously I'm guessing - but that CC does not look good

TulsaMary said:
I haven't used any since I switched to BBB. But before that i put in a bunch of powder shock... I used floater tabs up to about a week ago but I stopped using them...

That very well could be the reason. I would hazard a guess that now, if you do not put anything into the pool that contains CYA that it will stop drifting up. You'll need another drain though. Rats!

My dad's spa was refilled two weeks ago due to high CYA. He didn't listen too well (so strange... my kid's listeners are broken and so are my dad's. hmmmm...) and proceeded to dump enough dichlor into his water to raise CYA up to 110+ in just two weeks. Yesterday he had to drain the whole thing yet again. It rises fast.

For every 10ppm chlorine from tablets, CYA rises 6ppm. 90-60=30ppm. 6 goes into 30 5 times. Pucks for a week could have easily added 50ppm chlorine to the pool.

No, and evaporation won't change it either. Water will evaporate but CYA stays. Splash out and refilling might lower it a ppm or few but nothing major. Drain and refill is the way to lower CYA or you could look into reverse osmosis which will take everything out of your pool except water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.