Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Been Going Through LOTS of Bleach?????

1. Back To Top    #1

Been Going Through LOTS of Bleach?????

Quick question, My pool is looking great again this year thanks to BBB method. But....I added 2 182 oz. of 6% bleach and 2 96oz. 6% bleach night before last. Runnubg a 70 CYA level. FC level was at 20 PPM early yesterday morning. We are under accessive heat warnings here and have been a lot the last couple of weeks. Ok...I added approx. 2" of new water last evening and then did FC test again after the sun went down and it read 8.5 PPM. Is that possible? I am going to go get more bleach today...just have been using a LOT lately. Water temp has been staying between 92 and 94 for the last 2 weeks.
    30' Round Vinyl AG, 21,200 K GAL. with Main drain, Hayward 1.5 HP Pump, Sand filter, BBB Method & TF~100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Been Going Through LOTS of Bleach?????

Are you shocking your pool? Why did you add so much bleach? If you were shocking, you need to check more than once per day and keep it above shock level. If you weren't shocking, you don't need to add that much bleach at a time. But, that being said, seems like the higher the level of bleach, the faster is is use. However, 11.5ppm seems like a lot. You probably should do a OCLT to see if it is the sun or if you have organics in the pool and you need to start the shocking process.
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

3. Back To Top    #3

No I wasnt shocking it. LOL! Shock level for my pool at a CYA level of 70 is 29ppm. I just thought if I bumped it up to a 20 I wouldnt have to add any bleach for one evening and didn't think it would hurt anything. Just because I am getting old and those big jugs of bleach get heavy lugging the out there every evening. But if you think I need to shock I will. We have been using the pool quite a bit lately. It's dang hot here.
    30' Round Vinyl AG, 21,200 K GAL. with Main drain, Hayward 1.5 HP Pump, Sand filter, BBB Method & TF~100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

But I am showing 0 CC's and my ph is holding strong at 7.5 and TA is at 110...just seems like it has been burning around 7 PPM of FC a day and i didn't know if it was supposed to. I have been blaming it on the high temps.

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you have a way to test FC and CC. I would do a OCLT tonight. It will tell you if you need to shock or if it is just this heat! I would be a bit wary based on the amount of loss and your CYA level.

Instructions found here.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...rnight_fc_test
    ~~ Allison ~~

6. Back To Top    #6

Over your target FC level the chlorine is exposed to the sun. So loosing the first 11ppm very fast to the sun isn't surprising. Now that you are closer to your target FC level the loss should taper off.
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by aa62579
    Do you have a way to test FC and CC. I would do a OCLT tonight. It will tell you if you need to shock or if it is just this heat! I would be a bit wary based on the amount of loss and your CYA level.

Instructions found here.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...rnight_fc_test
    Yes...I test with the TF-100 kit....I just checked my FC a minute ago and it was at 5.5...with a CYA of 70 ppm I understand I need to keep it between 5 and 8 ppm. I will add enough bleach this evening to get it back to around 9ppm and then do the OCLT. Thanks

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by lightingguy
    Over your target FC level the chlorine is exposed to the sun. So loosing the first 11ppm very fast to the sun isn't surprising. Now that you are closer to your target FC level the loss should taper off.
    Thank you....I thought I was doing myself a favor and staying ahead of the game by adding extra bleach. I didn't realize the sun would pull it right back out in such great amount. I appreciate the info. I like to keep it closer to 10 ppm running a cya of 70ppm.
    I just did a test with the TF-100 here are my readings:
    FC= 5.5 ppm
    CC = 0
    PH = 7.5
    TA = 110
    CYA = 70

9. Back To Top    #9

It looks good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Back To Top    #10

Looking good!

I keep my pool about 1.5 to 2ppm over target as well. I use that number since that is what my pool has averaged in chlorine consumption each day and it makes me not worry so much if I miss a day. I think 10-12 would be a good place for you to keep your chlorine at. Might even figure out that you can keep it at 12 and add bleach every other day.
    ~~ Allison ~~

11. Back To Top    #11

I wish I could run mine at 2 ppm....I hate having to keep it so high. Seems like no matter how much bleach I add I end up at 6.5 ppm every evening. LOL
    I will try it at 12 ppm though. Sounds like a good number to me. Maybe this heat wave will end soon and I can go back to using a little less. Thanks so much.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Tbell
    I wish I could run mine at 2 ppm....
    If that was directed at my post, I don't stay at 2, I stay at 2 over target. So for my CYA level, I keep it at 7 instead of 5.
    ~~ Allison ~~

13. Back To Top    #13

I've been going through about 4.6ppm/day avg, but my CYA is around 90-95.

with this heat wave I decided to leave my fountain on, all day. I'm seeing a pH adjustment in my future. As long as the water doesn't get much above 90, I'm happy. It was 89 this morning and 93 yesterday (without fountain running).
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]