We don't use chlorine in our pool; we use EZ Pool

Jul 20, 2011
Mehoopany, PA
This says we should use chlorine to fight the algae, but we don't use chlorine in our pool; we use EZ Pool and we aren't going to switch. This is our 3rd summer with our pool and have NEVER had the pool this difficult to get clear. We've had it open for over a month and it has been disgusting from day one. We've used lots of Shock, Drop out, Clarifier, PH UP and Alka Up plus our EZ Pool chemicals. Would some sort of algaecide work??

Re: Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

You should switch. Immediately. EZ Pool simply doesn't work - as you're finding out! Why would you see that something's not working, yet refuse to change it? Not to mention the fact that EZ Pool REQUIRES the use of chlorine as well.

There have been some prior discussions, for instance:
anybody-have-experience-with-ez-pool-chemicals-t11050.html

Here's a link to a disscussion on EZ pool anybody-have-experience-with-ez-pool-chemicals-t11050.html

The punch line is there is no active sanitizer in your pool - just a mild algecide (metals). You want a fast acting active sanitizer in your pool to kill bacteria, etc and prevent bather to bather transmission of pathogens.

There is a TON of misinformation about chlorine and it's uses in a swimming pool. A properly maintained chlorine pool actually has a very low active chlorine count - much lower than what comes out of your faucet - and is not at all irritating. There are chlorine by-products that have a strong smell and can be irritating - but these do not exist in a properly maintained pool.

The other big source of irritation is PH - which can get way to low in a TriChlor pool - but it just gets assumed the chlorine is to blame.

It sounds like you've started down the BBB path. If you go all the way - really understand the chemistry and stay on top of it - you will be pleasantly surprised.

Maybe, maybe not.
If you review enough posts here you'll see a high percentage of people claiming their pool store analysis was off, clearly each store is different but just because you go to a pool store dosn't ensure a high quality of service or quality test results. Best bet is to buy a quality test kit and do it yourself so you can see the cause/effect of your pool, regular testing done yourself means that you become knowledgeable in your water, what it needs and how it reacts to what you give.

My first summer with our pool, and using BBB, and I'm amazed at how simple it is and, with regular testing, how close I can estimate the levels before I take them. And the water quality is great.
Our pool has very little smell of chlorine, I swim with eyes open regularly and don't have any discomfort.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And if the results from the pool store differ from yours... whose results will you believe?

I do not know anything about the method you're using but I do know that BBB works and it's not difficult in any way once you understand it. Adding a couple cups (for me, 4800 gallon pool) of bleach every day is quite doable. What you were told about chlorine above is true. When your pool water is balanced, there is little odor at all and what you might smell is NOT the same as what you have smelled in other pools. It's more like a fruity fresh smell, with a hint of something you will not recognize as chlorine. Even laundry washed w/bleach does not compare.

Chlorine KILLS the nasties that can make you sick. It disinfects your pool water. Disinfection should be your primary concern, algae murder and prevention second. Chlorine tackles both in your pool, and it is all the disinfection you need.

The multiple thousands of pool owners who have passed through this forum, joined and posted about their joy with BBB is testament alone. There is no way to know how many just read, learn, never join or post and maintain their pools with the same joy. I for one lurked all last summer after switching, and only began posting this year when I was comfortable that I understood a few things enough to be able to answer some questions.

If your pool store flips out when you discuss bleach with them, yet will readily sell you liquid chlorine or liquid "shock" product in the same breath it's an indication that they do not have your best interests in mind or didn't/couldn't/wouldn't pay attention in high school chemistry. Or they are flat out lying to you to be able to sell you products that you do not need.

Chlorine is chlorine... is chlorine. 6%, 10%, 12%, or even the infamous 20% that doesn't exist past initial production is all liquid chlorine with the same chemical makeup. The only difference is strength, and the fact that 6% bleach is available in any grocery store labled... "bleach" instead of "chlorine".

Personally, I average about 4 cups of bleach a day and my pool has +- 9400 gallons (or 150,000 cups), so that ratio of bleach/water is incredibly small.

I've tasted water in many large cities that has stronger taste of chlorine than my pool does.

No offense meant here, but you really were not shocking the way this site intends. You were using a product called shock but you only decided to start the BBB method yesterday. You need a good test kit if you do not have one. and you need to read up on pool school especially the link I posted above.

Okay, Noahsmommy, you posted back so it looks like you want to stop using ezpool and start managing your pool with the knowledge you will gain on this forum Don't take that lightly as the advice we give you will be obviously different but you cannot pick and choose some from us and some from the pool store. If you want BBB to work, you must commit yourself to understanding and learning about pool water chemistry as we teach it here on this forum.

You will be told over and over to get your own good testkit. Do it. It is essential for keeping your pool crystal clear the way we will teach. Secondly, you really need to immerse yourself in Pool School.....start with "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry". It'll give you the basics but you will need to do more reading and learning after that.

As you read, you will learn that you desperately need to get some CYA in your pool. Shoot for 30ppm. at the same time you just as desperately need to get chlorine in your pool. Using just bleach you should target about 15ppm and plan on adding it constantly to maintain that 15ppm for a few days.......30 gallons of bleach would not be too much.

Post back if you do not understand how to calculate your dosages and you will get lots of help.

You will NEVER regret switching and your eyes will be opened wide with all the pool knowledge you will gain. :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.