Need help with balancing my water

May 9, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
For the past couple of weeks, my chlorine's been really low(0). I was only using pucks(insuffecient) and it was bringing my CYA level too high, so I removed them bought a shock treatment, put it in, waited 2 days, got it tested again at my pool store and it was still at zero. I bought another shock treatment, did the same thing and still at zero and now with a PH of 8.2. The store then recommended me to put my floater back in with 1 puck, buy some liquid clorine and Muriatic Acid, which I did. I added 4L(shock) of 10% concentrated chlorine and 500ml of MA got it tested again this morning and still at zero and PH of 8.2. What am I doing wrong? I'll be removing the floater again and replacing about 6" of water with new water so the CYA comes down.

Here are this morning results.

FC 0
CC 0
PH 8.2
TA 85
CYA 70
CH 225

According to the pool calculator, I should put 1.18L of 10% chlorine, and 0.5L of MA. Is that about right? Should I be shocking my pool again(4L of chlorine)? My pool is exposed to direct sunlight from 9 am to 6 pm and it has been really hot lately and should be for the next few days.

As for buying a test kit, I will be getting one when I go to the states this fall(for next season) since 150$ is too expensive.

First, you need to get your PH down to something more reasonable, somewhere around 7.5.

Then you need to properly shock the pool. Shocking is an ongoing process, not something you simply add to the pool and then wait to see what happened. Read the article on how to shock your pool in Pool School.

grosbiz said:
As for buying a test kit, I will be getting one when I go to the states this fall(for next season) since 150$ is too expensive.
Keep in mind that the TF100 isn't available in stores. So if you were thinking you could do that, then it won't work.

If you're going to be in one place long enough to have one shipped to you, then you should also check with Canadian customs to make sure it'll be OK to bring it back over the border.

JasonLion. Thanks for your input. I guess I'll be stacking up on chlorine. What would you recomend to do since no test strips goes as high as 28 for FC and I have access to no test kit?

Beamup: As for the kit, I'll be getting it shipped to a UPS store near the border(Ogdensburg) and pick it up there(1 hour from me). As for the Canadian Customs, any reason they would not allow it back to Canada? Just wondering which ingredient might cause a problem.

Yep, that'll work. I have no particular reason to believe that anything specific would be an issue, but customs people are often concerned with anything along those lines. Better safe than sorry, essentially - you don't want to spend the money and then find out that some obscure regulation keeps you from actually bringing it home.

You can use dilution with chlorine free water to test for shock level, though it isn't good enough to do the overnight FC loss test. To test with dilution, mix one part of pool water with two equal parts of chlorine free water (typically distilled water), perform the test with that, and multiply the results by three.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.