Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Haven't Been to the Old Pool Store in Over a Month!

1. Back To Top    #1

Haven't Been to the Old Pool Store in Over a Month!

Just wanted to thank everyone at this site for providing an inexpensive and fun way to keep the pool clean. The information here is outstanding and it makes pool chemistry a joy instead of a mystery. I received my own quality test kit just over a month ago, have tested once a week with it and have been doing the daily PH and Clorine test. I've got my daily dose of Chorine figured out and I've only had to adjust my CYA up a little. It's almost too easy. I've found a place to buy Chlorine at 12.5% in the five gallon jug and I bought some stablizer at Walmart... That's it so far!

As a side note, what a fun day I had Saturday testing my pool. It turned into a chemistry lesson for my daughters and several neighborhood kids. They actually thought it was cool! Talked to them about acids, bases and alkalinity and they all watched with great anticipation to see when the colors would change and then they did the math to figure out the results. In a weird way I almost want something to be "off" so I can show them how we can make adjustments with different chemicals to fix it!

Thanks again!
    14'x28', 13K Gallons, Vinyl, DE, TF100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Haven't Been to the Old Pool Store in Over a Month!

That's funny... I was thinking something similar yesterday... how boring it is to go out and check on a crystal clear, balanced swimming pool every morning.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

If you really want to up the level of fun, order a speedstir.

You'll know you've hit the big time when one of the kids says something like, "We like swimming in your pool because it's clear."
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Or the neighbor says, "l used to swim in this pool before you bought the house. The pool is so BLUE now."
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

Actually, I had a kid (11 years old) from the neighborhood ask why my pool doesn't smell like Chlorine. He wanted to know how I kept it so clean without it. I had to explain that I do use it, but when the balance is just right and you use the right amount, it doesn't stink like the boys club pool! He said he's going to talk to his dad about how he takes care of the pool, cuz it shouldn't smell. Can't wait to hear from the dad... Perhaps another candidate for BBB.

6. Back To Top    #6

Richard, did you get the Speedstir from Taylor? Are there cheaper options?

Thanks

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP!!

I'm sure the pool store misses you, or at least your money

Sounds like you're doing great

These are the posts I love to read - you actually get it and are willing to properly care for your pool

TF Testkits sells them for ~ $30, if memory serves (I've bought 2 from them - 1 for me and 1 for work)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by rsfan14
    Just wanted to thank everyone at this site for providing an inexpensive and fun way to keep the pool clean. The information here is outstanding and it makes pool chemistry a joy instead of a mystery. I received my own quality test kit just over a month ago, have tested once a week with it and have been doing the daily PH and Clorine test. I've got my daily dose of Chorine figured out and I've only had to adjust my CYA up a little. It's almost too easy. I've found a place to buy Chlorine at 12.5% in the five gallon jug and I bought some stablizer at Walmart... That's it so far!

As a side note, what a fun day I had Saturday testing my pool. It turned into a chemistry lesson for my daughters and several neighborhood kids. They actually thought it was cool! Talked to them about acids, bases and alkalinity and they all watched with great anticipation to see when the colors would change and then they did the math to figure out the results. In a weird way I almost want something to be "off" so I can show them how we can make adjustments with different chemicals to fix it!

Thanks again!
    I have used the BBB method for many years. It is a great savings for homeowners as well as pool professionals. if you follow the guidelines on this board, you can't go wrong. I too try to get people, especially kids to understand the chemistry of the pool. I often spend too much time with clients explaining the process. I am glad you have has such success with your " home chemistry set"

9. Back To Top    #9

Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

10. Back To Top    #10

If I make it over the next 10 days with what I have in my Liquid Chlorine 10.5% jug, (about 2 gal left/should just make it) I'll be on a record month as the muriatic acid purchase (Home Depot) was from last month. $8.41 with BBB this month! (except for elec to run my 1 hp pump 10-12 hours a day)
    And this in in the middle of summer and heavy use....

Chuck
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by rsfan14
    Richard, did you get the Speedstir from Taylor? Are there cheaper options?

Thanks
    I bought it from http://tftestkits.net when I ordered some more reagents. Then I looked on ebay and found more magnetic stir bars really cheap. So I have enough vials and stirbars to run all my tests before I have to rinse anything.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks!

I'm putting the Speedstir on the list of things I need to get.