Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using Trichlor to raise CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Using Trichlor to raise CYA

Hi Jason, Richard,

I am not sure who the owner of "the pool calculator" is, but I thought that if anyone can help it's probably you.
    Since I use Trichlor to reach the stabilization of the pool, I think it would be great if the section on CYA also contained the very useful detail that CYA is 55.5% of Trichlor by weight (got that from one of your posts Richard).

What do you think?
    15 KL (3300 imperial / 4000 US gallons) IG fiberglass pool, 61cm (24") Lacron sand filter, 3/4 HP Hayward pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Using Trichlor to raise CYA

Very good information to know, thanks Yoav. I was wondering this myself, as I too am trying to raise my CYA (currently ~20ppm) using Trichlor, and I'm going through a lot of reagents testing weekly.
    First season with a 15 year-old vinyl 25k gallon and new Pentair SD-80 (sand) and WFE4 pump.

3. Back To Top    #3

There's an easy rule, which I've often seen quoted on this forum:

For every 10ppm of FC added by trichlor, it also raises CYA by 6ppm.

If you know how much trichlor you've used, you can easily work out how much this raises CYA using the "effect of adding chemicals" section on the bottom of the calculator.
    90k litres, outdoor in ground pool, concrete, painted (I hate paint)
    Sta-Rite 5P2R 1.5 Hp pump, undersized sand filter (needs upgrading).

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks loop_pea - I don't recall ever using the "effect of adding chemicals" section of the calculator.
    Works like a charm
    15 KL (3300 imperial / 4000 US gallons) IG fiberglass pool, 61cm (24") Lacron sand filter, 3/4 HP Hayward pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Jason wrote The Pool Calculator using formulas and results mostly from my spreadsheet and his own calculations plus some approximations he made for the more difficult pH calculations.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

Wow! that spreadsheet made my head spin
    Can't wait to delve into it when I get back home (though it seems I will be in over my head pretty soon...)

Richard, I hope you don't mind me asking but I'm really curious -
    Is your knowledge of chemistry the result of a hobby or of formal/professional training?

Yoav.

7. Back To Top    #7

Hobby. Though I majored in physical sciences (physics, chemistry) at U.C. Berkeley, I went into computer software as a profession.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"