Getting pool built ... want to use BBB method

msujohn

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 10, 2011
Frisco, Texas
I've been reading this forum to get a better understanding of the BBB method. I'm in the stages of comparing bids for my PB. Is there any specific equipment needs that will help me out for the BBB method? I'm still not sure if I'm going the salt route or not, but want to know if there is any equipment that will make my life easier or harder with this method? The builders I'm looking at either use Jandy or Pentair equipment.

I'm going to get a free form 33 x 22 foot pool with a spa. It will have pebble sheen as the interior and flagstone coping.

Any hints would be appreciated.

I don't think there's anything to add to make the pool BBB friendly....just don't let them install a poolfrog, nature2, permasalt, or any other "system" to the plumbing.

Anything else is just common sense. Skimmer at the extreme downwind end of the pool. Ample room to service things. Unions on the plumbing. Leave room to install a SWG or a liquidator. I believe some of them specify a certain length of straight pipe run where you tap in. This thread might give you some things to think about.

Something near and dear to me is patio drainage. There's a thread somewhere here from yesterday or the day before about where the pool overflow goes that reminded me. I don't have a pool overflow - it will go out onto the patio, and then theoretically into the drain and out to the street. 'cept the pipes are small and don't have much pitch. And my sliding patio door is maybe 1" higher than the patio. The water came uncomfortably close to coming into the house during some heavy rainstorms. As long as they're digging up the yard and running pipes, put in drainage if needed. And go BIG. 2" pipe is not adequate, I can assure you.

Richard has given you some good advice. I will reiterate that mineral systems such as the Pool Frog, Nature 2, and the like that require "cartridges" to be replaced periodically are expensive, not helpful, and can be harmful in the long run as they add metals to the water. Avoid them at all costs. Aside from that, all you really need for BBB is a good test kit, a measuring cup, and some basic household chemicals. It's really easy.

So if I go with a salt system, I'm assuming I won't be using the liquid beach as mentioned in the pool school? Is that correct? But during the off season (winter) the salt generator won't work I believe - so do I use the liquid beach during the winter or do nothing?

One of my builders wants to install a rainbow 300 or 320 chlorinator as well as my salt generator? I'm really not sure why they want to do this, since I'm using the salt cell? Any thoughts on that?

msujohn said:
So if I go with a salt system, I'm assuming I won't be using the liquid beach as mentioned in the pool school? Is that correct? But during the off season (winter) the salt generator won't work I believe - so do I use the liquid beach during the winter or do nothing?

One of my builders wants to install a rainbow 300 or 320 chlorinator as well as my salt generator? I'm really not sure why they want to do this, since I'm using the salt cell? Any thoughts on that?

You still may need to add chlorine in some form to maintain your chlorine before you can start your SWCG after construction.

I can't see any reason to have the Rainbow with a SWCG.

Hard to say about winter usage without knowing where you live.

I had the PB install the Rainbow unit using pipe & unions so that the SWCG could be swapped out without any issues. The PB used the Rainbow for the first thirty days (until salt went in), and I kept the rainbow unit as a backup.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.