Hi From CT and lots of questions...

Robl

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 19, 2011
CT
Hi. We started with a pool when my oldest daughter was 3ish. It was $49 at Home Depot - intek inflatable. Worked well and much better than a plastic 12" high pool. That didn't make it through a winter (mice) and we went with the Intek 15' metal frame pool. Now my kids (8,6,4) are ready for a real pool.
We are thinking of a 15x30 oval.
Looked at several places local and online. I think we have narrowed it down to Namco Oasis and Leslie's Pool Supply Admiral. Within a $100 of each other ($2800ish) and I'm leaning towards the Oasis because it's resin and wider. I think that will be more kid friendly than the Admiral Steel ledge.

A local installer came out today and gave me some pricing:
$1500 for installation
$425 for excavation (I'm on a slope so he's moving a lot around)
$600 for water
Some options he's offering:
$250 clay/silt mix base and will offer a 5 yr warranty against rock protrusion
$250 foam floor and now it's a lifetime warranty against rock protrusion
$100 wall foam

Also on the needed list:
Filter system - Hayward EC40 w/ Matrix 1hp pump
Wide mouth skimmer
poolguard ABP alarm
vacuum (which one?)
solar cover (I'll attempt to make a my own reel)
Winter cover
Beaded liner
gate
electrical (just materials, no labor)
permits

Total for everything seems to be coming in around $7600.
Does that seem about right? Anything I'm missing or shouldn't get?

I have no problems going online if it will save money. I also don't mind paying more if it's worth it. Is there a better pool for a similar price?
2012 will be the addition of a deck. Large one (12') on an end and side then 3' on the other long side and 6' on the other end.

I already have the intek salt water system so I'm going to try using that and save some money.

Thanks for the help!
Rob

Prices look about right to me. vinyl top rails will look better longer. Pool Rover Jr. for a pool cleaner (flat bottomed AGP). It will come with a manual one that hooks into the skimmer. And don't forget a good test kit recommended here! Welcome!

Thanks! Glad to know that looks about right. I did forget to put the test kit on there even though I knew I needed it. I will get the TF-100 once everything is all set (permits approved, stuff ordered etc).

Is there a better filter and or pump for that size pool? What about a timer or should it run 24x7?

I have a 24ft round Oasis. The prices seem about right, except maybe in my mind the pool. We picked ours up during fall clearance at Namco for $849, pool only (included boulder print beaded lined), no pump/filter (see my sig) no skimmer($40). That said...that was 3 years ago :scratch: You'll want the smallest pump possible or a 2 speed and the largest filter you can afford. The pump filter combos odly enough are usually overpowered pumpwise and under sized on the filter.

PS...I love our intex...still going on season 3 and do get the TF100 :goodjob:

All in with our DIY deck (trex/composite) the pool ended up running us around $12-13k, but I have a flat yard and a plain sand bottom....so you are not out of the ballpark :goodjob:

Mine is round, but will give you and idea of the finished product

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

We have a 25x30 and I love it. You can have a bunch of people in the pool without feeling crowded, swim laps and put the noisey kids at one end and let the adults relax at the other. :party:

One suggestion I have is for a pool light. I'm not sure I saw it on your list but it is really nice to swim at night and to just light up the pool when we are outback at night.

I was thinking of a light last night. Anything special to look for? 1 near the ladder/stairs or in the middle or each end? I'm guessing you can't put these in after the pool is filled. Unless you go with battery powered stick on.

Hate to be a pest but you mentioned getting a smaller pump or a 2 speed and larger filter. Can you tell me the exact combo I should look at? Is Hayward the best or is there better brands I should look at?

Thanks for the support and advise!

I meant that we have a 15x30 pool not 25x30 :oops: . You can get a light after the pool is filled the one I have can be put in that way. You do want to be sure to run electric for the light though.

http://www.propools.com/product.php/4043

I have the one above, we put it at one end and it lights up the whole pool nicely. The steps are about 5 feet to the right of the light where the pool curves but they seem illumitated plenty.

I'm not sure combo sizes for filters and pumps, I know Pentair and Hayward are both popular brands, I think it comes down to preference. From what I've read here it sounds like you should get the biggest filter money allows for and smaller or 2 speed pump. At the time we purchased our pool we got a package deal and bought everything together. We haven't had any problems but our pump is probably oversized.