Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Top 10 Reasons to do your own pool maintenance...

1. Back To Top    #1

The Top 10 Reasons to do your own pool maintenance...

Let's hear what you've got - the best submissions will go in the February newsletter.

Fire the pool boy, and tell us why you'd rather take care of your own pool...
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mine are a bit 'tounge in cheek' but here goes:

10. You become a more responsible person because if the pool turns green you have no one to blame but yourself.
    9. You have a valid excuse to walk around in your back yard in speedos even if you don't have the body for it!!
    8. You gain a "reputation" in the neighborhood as an illicit drug lab because of the all empty bleach jugs and baking soda boxes in your trash!
    7. It gets you out of household chores you don't like to do because you can say to your spouse "Hon, please take out the trash, I need to test the pool!"
    6. You have the satisfaction of walking into a pool store and telling the pool store guy what YOU need and not the other way around.
    5. You have the satisfaction of walking out of a pool store with just a container of CYA and a backwash hose and nothing else!
    4. You become the envy of your pool owning neighbors when you have the only pool that doesn't turn green all summer. This is worth all the times they flatten your car tires!
    3. You get to play with a neat 'chemistry set' each time you test your water.
    2. You become popular at parties because everyone wants to know why your pool always looks so good.

and finally:

1. You become unpopular at parties when you tell everyone that you use bleach in your pool to keep it looking good. This is when your neighbors are SURE that you are running an illicit drug lab because they know you must be smoking SOMETHING or your wouldn't be putting bleach in your pool!

3. Back To Top    #3
    More money in your pocket for beer and barbecue.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    More money in your pocket for beer and barbecue.
    Amen, brother!!

8200 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, manually chlorinated with 10% liquid, salt added to ~2000, 12" sand filter, 1600gph pump, TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, Chlorine/CYA Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

5. Back To Top    #5

Evan,

Some of yours are 'works of art' -- I'm still working on my contributions to this 'top 10'

Happy New Year!!!! to all TFP members!!!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6
    That's an easy one.

If you want it done right, do it yourself!

Anna

And Happy New year, all!
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

7. Back To Top    #7
    because my wife thought the pool guy was hot.

because i did not pay attention much in chemistry and want to learn

because i had to put a morgage on the house just to pay for the stuff the pool store was selling me

i wanted to save some of my outdoor landscape since the pool guy kept running in to stuff in my driveway.

the pool guy kept drinking all my beer

i wanted a "clean" pool.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Because the Pool Guy said, "You live WHERE? That will be an extra $5,437 for mileage."
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

9. Back To Top    #9
    For the satisfaction of having the best looking pool in the neighborhood.

Ok the real reason is ..... I'm cheap
    18x33 15700 Gal Oval Above Ground
    Ranger Sand Filter w/Praher Multi Port Valve
    A.O. Smith 1.5 hp Pump
    Confer E9120 Steps
    BBB And Sparkling Clean.

10. Back To Top    #10
    I was worried about his rash not clearing up

I saw him driving around in a Porshe off duty

He said the reason the water is green is because I left my colorlogic lights too long on the green color.

My wife kept yelling out his name in her sleep

The kids started to call him daddy
    20x40 24,000 gal IG plaster/CircuPool RJ45 SWG/2 skimmer/2sp 2.5hp Jandy Stealth/340sq ft cart filter/600sqftHeliocol Solar Panels/6ft semi circlr tanning ledge/25ft deep end bench/5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features/1300sqft travertine paver/2 Colorlogic lights/Hayward Navigator/3step 2ft raised bond beam

11. Back To Top    #11
    Because I left to go fishing one morning and it started to storm. I came back to bed and said its raining to my wife, she said thats ok you dont have to clean the pool today , my husband will do it when he gets home.

12. Back To Top    #12

Because I know how to do something (and do it GOOD!) that my husband can't do. And he thinks I'm a ROCK STAR!
    Judy

Designated "pool girl" for 18' x 40' in-ground vinyl pool built in 2006

13. Back To Top    #13
    1. Fire the pool boy? Wha??? sorry, but DH is staying!

2. Because we are retarded, ........I mean retired.

3. Because pool stored pools turn green. (Imagine that)

4. Because we are cheap.

5. Why should we pay $50 for something we can do in 5 minutes?..... On yea, we are cheap

6. Because we can!!!!

7. Because we know B, B & B...

8. Who needs 'em,....we got TroubleFreePools.com!!

later,

Joyce
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

The # 1 reason...

How crazy would I be to spend the hot pool guy's very valuable time and talent doing pool maintenance??

..... oh, did you mean we would stop his visits altogether????!!!! Now that's just plain silly.
    ~Debbie~

28k, 22'x37' freeform 3.5'-9'deep
    w/ 7.5' freeform spa raised 18" above pool, Gunite/dark gray plaster, 3 rivers flagstone,
    Aquarite SWCG, Aqualogic ps8, Frog, Colorlogic LED lights.
    Completed 2/06, in Sunny So Cal!

15. Back To Top    #15
    Fifty dollars, if that was really his price then I would feel a little differently about him. I was charged $110 for him just to come out, then what ever else for chemicals and parts needed (which always seemed to break when he was here, funny my mechanic is the same way.)

16. Back To Top    #16
    POOL MAINTENANCE?????? I thought that Automatic Floor sweeper, Automatic Chlorine Generator, automated system with built in timers would maintain the pool. My Pool Builder never mentioned Maintenance......
    MIKE

21K Inground Custom w/ Spa (Gunite/Plaster), SWCG, Hayward Northstar, Polaris 280, Hayward Color Logics, Jandy PS-8

17. Back To Top    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by divnkd101
    POOL MAINTENANCE?????? I thought that Automatic Floor sweeper, Automatic Chlorine Generator, automated system with built in timers would maintain the pool. My Pool Builder never mentioned Maintenance......

LOL!!!!! A greater truth was never spoken!!!!!!!

18. Back To Top    #18

I LOVE all the responses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Sean, if you can't get 10 out of them, re-read them -- I'm sitting here laughing beer onto my screen )

OK, here's my contributions:

Because the pool dude is [edited by SeanB]

My wife spends so much on QVC I had to take care of the pool myself

It's just water, how hard can it be to take care of?

I wouldn't EVER let Waste into my backyard :P

I stopped drinking, so he stopped coming.

He uses strips to test

With a cya of 200+, I figured nothing I did would hurt the pool as much
    (alternately)
    I figured, the way my pool looks, I couldn't do any worse.

I'm tired of those infections that plague my family after they use the pool

Time to 'step to the plate' and take my pool into my own hands

I know more about my pool than he does!

My monthly pool maintenance is getting real close to my mortgage

$500/ month JUST ISN'T WORTH IT for algae

................ and the #1 reason

I discovered Trouble Free Pools.com
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

19. Back To Top    #19

Sean, was that one thatbad??? - if so I applogize

(I thought one for the ladies would be nice )
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

20. Back To Top    #20
    Ooooo, Sean you have now made this a multiple choice guessing game!!!!

The pool dude is:

A) a canibal
    B) an alcoholic, one armed blind guy with a grudge and favors liberal use of muriatic acid
    C) that guy who jokes and says he is an escapee from an institution for the criminally insane, then says "No, really."
    D) your daughter's friend who just ordered a tatoo gun from Ebay and whom she also just finished a phone coversation with that included lots of giggling, the words "practice" and "you first"
    E) that really weird guy who smells like cabbage, has an eye twitch and a green rash
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast