how do you pour bleach without it splashing?

The jugs of bleach I am using now come with a peel off tab under the cap, I generally just punch a couple of small holes in the tab with a key and let it slowly dribble in above the return fitting.

Ike

When using the larger jugs (2.5 gallons and up), I use a length of Polyethylene tubing (about 1/2 to 5/8 inch ID) to siphon the bleach out of the jug into the water. Available at most hardware stores by the foot.

1) Fill the tubing with water by submerging the tubing under water and put your finger over one end.
2) Put the other end in the jug.
3) Put the end with your finger under water and remove your finger.
4) When the correct amount of bleach has been dispensed, pull the tubing out of the liquid chlorine to allow the tubing to clear.
5) Rinse the tubing in the pool water so that no bleach is left in the tubing.

Warning: Do not suck on the tubing to get the siphon started.

efArKSIZhr0mFn1_3DnVpXL6R-kFCVQnhU40h9xqEozlIZ0DDF8xluZ8tK0yp-RpmVMM-gvc5meEjAgIh-8yr6u0ElPbZ0bDNoDoi0c4NL3r_kGWcnmK_tpC5EH3InBDzVWOwUufBNuhpWzZQWepzNp9e8eyseblzKxTb0E7rYmcMFOSVVENiiw

Example

When pouring from a bleach container, be careful not to pour fast enough to trap air. As long as you pour slowly, then there will be a smooth steady stream of bleach. The bleach makers need to make their top opening larger. Their bottle design is a bad design.

I learned this year at TFP how to float the bottle. It makes the pouring real close to the water, the bottle is not heavy cuz it's floating, and then I float the measuring cup as well, just let the water coming into the cup push the bleach out slowly.

I actually enjoy watching it float away now, and no splashing ever occurs. It's way more fun at night w/pool light on than it is during the day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This was exactly what I needed to know today!

The only way I can buy liquid chlorine locally is in 25 litre containers (about 6.5 US gallons.)

I can lift a 10 litre/2.5 gallon container, and use the pool to take the weight of the container when pouring. I can't see this working with the larger containers, they're just too big.

With the siphon method, how do you know how much you are putting in the pool?

loop_pea said:
With the siphon method, how do you know how much you are putting in the pool?
If the container is translucent, then you can tell how much you have used. If it is opaque, then you have to estimate based on experience or use some sort of container to siphon into.

I can usually estimate well enough because the amount needed does not need to be exact. However, if I want to be more exact, then I siphon into a 5 gallon bucket and then pour from the bucket.

You could also use a scale to weigh the container and use that as a guide. The liquid chlorine weighs about 10 pounds per gallon or 2.5 pounds per quart.

257WbyMag said:
Apparently, I don't pour it without splashing it. Take a look at many of my clothing articles if you don't believe me. :shock:
um, ditto, :oops:

I would love to be able to float the bottle, but floating a bottle in an IG pool involves the back and knees and balance :grrrr:

JamesW, what a neat idea and I especially like the directions..... and warning :mrgreen: !

The tubing comes from a roll, so it will have some curl to it. Sometimes that can be a problem when trying to get it to reach the bottom of a container of liquid chlorine. There are a few things you can do.

First, store the tubing straightened out by sliding it into a length of 3/4 inch PVC that is longer than the tubing. This will remove most of the curl, but not all of it.

Second, cut a piece of 3/4 rigid PVC pipe that is longer than the depth of the jug and insert the PVC into the container so that it sticks out a few inches. Then, when you insert the tubing into jug, just slide it into the PVC pipe all of the way to the bottom.

Note: Liquid chlorine can be dangerous. Please be careful when handling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.